How can I become competitive for a GI fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MSIII planning to do IM and hopefully a GI fellowship after that. What should I be doing now and down the line to make myself competitive for getting that GI fellowship? Obviously, doing well in medical school and residency. I know that GI research would also be good, but does anyone have other suggestions or advice (best type/location of residency, other considerations I might not think of)? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Read more papers and you will find your way.

Members don't see this ad :)
ERCP said:
Read more papers and you will find your way.

Er,find your way into what? Someone elses research project that sounds interesting? How is reading papers going to help get this person a spot?

BTW, has gastro gotten to the point where a phd would make the big difference? Has competition gotten that crazy yet?

if it has gotten to a point of needing a PhD, i'd think the income wouldn't be worth the time needing to get it :)

I'm in a similar position. I'm an MIII at a school ranked ~#35, got top 20% 1st year, top 10% 2nd year and good recs for rotations this year but only got 217 on step 1 and no research/few extracurriculars. Do I have a chance at getting a GI fellowship? If I go into IM, I would want to do GI, but I was wondering if it would be necessary to take a year off and do GI research to get some publications before 4th year. Also considering ER and Neuro, so really want to know what my chances are of getting a GI fellowship before committing to IM, though I know I would be happy doing other stuff in IM.