• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

TigerLilies

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
Status (Visible)
I'm a nonscience major and so this is my first upper-level bio class. There is a ton of info to memorize. How should I effectively study for it? Should I make flash cards? My exam is Monday and so I still have the weekend to study.

Thanks!

tdd340

Assistant to the sensei
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
For nueroanatomy I don't think that flashcards would be the best, its more than just individual pieces of information, its what connects to what and through how. I would start by diagraming major pathways and then asking yourself how they work and for what purpose, always keeping the whole system in mind.

DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
For nueroanatomy I don't think that flashcards would be the best, its more than just individual pieces of information, its what connects to what and through how. I would start by diagraming major pathways and then asking yourself how they work and for what purpose, always keeping the whole system in mind.

I agree, flashcards aren't the way to go. I used clinical cases and some other resources that showed neuroanatomy in 3-D--I think it was the University of Washington Website?

About the Ads

fightingon

10+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
get this book: Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple. It is really random and funny, which makes you remember all the really difficult things you have to know in neuroanat. It got me through medical neuroanat so I would really reccommend it, I tell everyone...

PugMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2006
Virginia
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Just an idea, I find it helpful to write reviews on all of the material covered. Verbalizing what I've vizualized really cements difficult concepts for myself. If it's strictly anatomy, try drawing structures. Make your own little cartoonish drawings - anything that will spark your memory during the exam.

armybound

urologist.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Uranus
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
is it anatomically or functionally based, or both?

if all you really need to memorize is anatomy, I recommend looking at as many pictures as possible. I found Haines to be extremely helpful. There are also tools around the internet you can use. I can think of one on Harvard's website off the top of my head. I'll see if I can find those URLs for you later.

Basically what I've always done is just looked and looked and looked. It all makes sense eventually.

CCLCMer

CCLCM Alum c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
Cleveland expatriate
cclcmstudent.blogspot.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm a nonscience major and so this is my first upper-level bio class. There is a ton of info to memorize. How should I effectively study for it? Should I make flash cards? My exam is Monday and so I still have the weekend to study.

Thanks!
We're doing our neuro block right now. I recommend drawing the pathways out. It helps me remember them if I draw them, anyway. Also models can be really helpful. Does your prof have any brain models for you to look at?

inside_edition

Waitlisted Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
We're doing our neuro block right now. I recommend drawing the pathways out. It helps me remember them if I draw them, anyway. Also models can be really helpful. Does your prof have any brain models for you to look at?

Brilliant suggestion. :thumbup: I basically drew the pathways out, over and over...

dorsal column medial lemniscal
anterlateral

these are the only two pathways i remember from the exam i took a few weeks ago.

CCLCMer

CCLCM Alum c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
Cleveland expatriate
cclcmstudent.blogspot.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
dorsal column medial lemniscal
anterlateral

these are the only two pathways i remember from the exam i took a few weeks ago.
You got the sensory pathways down. :thumbup: We covered those last week. Main motor pathway: corticospinal. We're doing that this week, so I haven't forgotten yet. :p

inside_edition

Waitlisted Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You got the sensory pathways down. :thumbup: We covered those last week. Main motor pathway: corticospinal. We're doing that this week, so I haven't forgotten yet. :p

yeah, i remember. that's the other pathway. (that one has a similar pathway to one of the two i mentioned above).

let me give you an example of a question i had on my test

While riding his bicycle, a student is hit by a car and suffers damage to his cervical spinal cord. During examination at a hospital, the neurologist determines that the anterolateral pathway and corticospinal tract on the right side have been completely severed (cut). Which symptoms below BEST describe the consequence of this injury?

i didn't list the answer choices, but i'm sure you can just list the stuff(and sides) he can't sense anymore.

inside_edition

Waitlisted Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

how many total pathways are there? and how many do you have to know in medschool and to what depth?

armybound

urologist.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Uranus
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
how many total pathways are there? and how many do you have to know in medschool and to what depth?
in the lower spinal cord or what? a lot of them are just in the brainstem.

off the top of my head though:

anterolateral
DCML
vestibulospinal
tectospinal
rubrospinal
dorsolateral
spinothalamic

there are several more that I can't think of at the moment.

those are just some from my graduate class, not med school.

inside_edition

Waitlisted Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
in the lower spinal cord or what? a lot of them are just in the brainstem.

off the top of my head though:

anterolateral
DCML
vestibulospinal
tectospinal
rubrospinal
dorsolateral
spinothalamic

there are several more that I can't think of at the moment.

those are just some from my graduate class, not med school.

i learned mine in an advanced undergrad class.

also, how indepth are immunology classes in medschool?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.