How can I improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CbasCoC2016

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there SDN! I have around 3 years till graduation and these are my stats so far:
  • I have around a 100 hours at the hospital(working towards 300, and I don't know if this might seemed as if I was a premed?)
  • 12 hours at a courthouse as part of the Victim Support Program(working towards 150-200) which deals with people how have suffered from family violence
  • 100 hours with Red Cross(will probably get around 200-300 by the time I apply)
  • Part of four clubs in which I have three officer positions (Vice-president of one and two minor officer roles)
  • I was also planning in applying for Big Brothers Big Sisters for the following year but I'm unsure if having a lot of community service is going make my application stronger/stand out.
Finally, I've been debating whether I should start shadowing right now or wait until my junior/senior year. I also want to do research but might have to wait until transfer to do so. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there SDN! I have around 3 years till graduation and these are my stats so far:
  • I have around a 100 hours at the hospital(working towards 300, and I don't know if this might seemed as if I was a premed?)
  • 12 hours at a courthouse as part of the Victim Support Program(working towards 150-200) which deals with people how have suffered from family violence
  • 100 hours with Red Cross(will probably get around 200-300 by the time I apply)
  • Part of four clubs in which I have three officer positions (Vice-president of one and two minor officer roles)
  • I was also planning in applying for Big Brothers Big Sisters for the following year but I'm unsure if having a lot of community service is going make my application stronger/stand out.
Finally, I've been debating whether I should start shadowing right now or wait until my junior/senior year. I also want to do research but might have to wait until transfer to do so. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

Do not wait till senior year to start shadowing. At my interviews, an adcom told me they like to see consistency in shadowing over a long period of time (demonstrates commitment to the profession). I started freshman year of college. Target 100 hours and you'll be set.

Volunteering looks great. You are doing more than enough. The only advice I have for you here is to stay involved with activities you choose throughout college. Great job on the leadership positions as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Keep the grades up too. You can have million hours of volunteer and shadowing but it won't mean a thing without a good gpa

Reactions: 3 users
As mentioned above, it's best to start shadowing sooner rather than later. As far as extracurriculars go things look pretty solid and starting to do research is a great idea.

Reactions: 1 user