Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated college several years ago with a 2.5 gpa. I worked full time my entire undergraduate career because my parents could not help pay; I still had a scholarship, but only covered half of my tuition.

Because of my not stellar gpa I went on to get an MPH with again a not so stellar gpa (3.0). Again working full time the entire time. There are semesters of 4.0 at each institution, but also semesters of falling short.

I then took pre-reqs years later for classes that were more than 7 years old; I paid out of pocket for those classes. Those classes I either received the same grade in undergrad (nothing lower than a C) or higher. But it did not change my overall gpa much. Again working full time.

I worked while in school because I knew I would have to fully live off student loans when in vet school. Though working helped decrease costs, I still had to borrow. I can not afford to not work full time as I am a woman in her 30s, not living at home with parents, having to pay bills and previous debt from student loans. I have worked as a vet tech for over 10 years now. So my pay has not been the greatest in paying back my student loan debt. I believe working full time has kept me from being an A/B student vs the C student I am. But I truly cannot just be a student, I have bills to pay.

How am I supposed to make myself a worthwhile candidate when this is my stack I have been dealt? I feel in a rut I can’t get out of. I know I am an intelligent individual with so much to contribute to the veterinary field, but I can’t even make my way in if no one is willing to look past my C average. I’m not failing which is how I feel like I’m being evaluated. How I can I turn this around with my circumstances?
Career transitions are extremely challenging anyway without having some help or mentoring. You are hopefully lucky enough to have a great supervisor veterinarian/boss for whom you have worked for that entire time. Have you talked with him/her about your ultimate dream to be a veterinarian? Have you been able to get increasing responsibility working in the office? Does he/she know of peers that got in even though they had a low GPA? If anything, I would definitely do some networking/homework and start communicating with admissions officers about your situation to get an idea of what things you need to focus on, what coursework you may have to retake -- community college or traditional four-year? as an other question, and what other things you would need to show your potential on an application.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.