Medical How Can I Improve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for insight and/or advice for the likelihood of having to reapply. I graduated in May with a double major Biology / Biochemistry.

MCAT: 512
GPA: 3.44
Science GPA: 3.34
Relevant coursework
Biology
Vertebrate Histology
Pathophysiology
Human Physiology
Biochemistry / Physiology of the Cell
Genetics
Chemistry
Biophysical Chemistry
Organic Spectroscopy
Inorganic Chemistry
Organic Chemistry
Advanced Biochemistry
Physics

MD:
Primaries: 29 (no reach / far reach schools)
Secondaries: 27
Rejections: 21
Interview Invites: 0

I know I lacked physician shadowing / clinical experience. I have since changed that by working full-time as an EMT-1. While I considered grad school / masters program or even a post-bac program, classes had already began by the time rejections started filling my inbox. In the interim I've started a paramedic program.

I have also began rewriting my personal statement and re-evaluating my schools list to include DO programs as well.

Any direction assistance would be great! Thanks in advance.
No need to be discouraged it sounds like you are reflecting on what can be a tasking process. Have you thought about a Masters? Your GPA is probably limiting your interviews. It might be work spending another year proving you can handle higher level science courses. While being an EMT is probably good experience, it probably isn't proving that your interest lies with being a physician by talking to physicians and seeing what their work is like.

Members don't see this ad.

Stats-wise, you're fine for any DO school. Did you aim too high thinking that your MCAT would salvage the < avg GPAs? If so, a better school list would be more helpful to you.

But the real weakness was applying without shadowing or clinical experience (and what about non-clinical volunteering???)

Take a gap year and get ? > 150 hrs each of clinical (your EMT) and non-clinical volunteering.

Shadow for ~50 hrs.

Then invest in MSAR ONline and target schools where your GPAs are > their 10th %iles. Pay very careful attention to the IS/OOS ratios.

Status
Not open for further replies.