how can I improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenzmed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I just wrapped up my Junior year and I need some advice on how I can fill in the gaps. Here's some info:

URM located in SC
3.4 cGPA (upward trend)/ 3.0 sGPA
MCAT TBD - taking in january

EC:
- Clinical assistant (few months)
- Research assistant (1 yr)
- 1 year of research
- Co-founded a nonprofit in my community
- Exec board member for minority pre-meds club (2 yrs)
- Intern Foundation for International Medical Relief of Children (160 volunteer hours)
- 50 volunteer hours at hospital (don't know if this counts as clinical hours since I was working with patients)
- Currently a patient screener at a hospital
- 20 Shadowing hours (DO)
- 100 volunteer hours with my sorority spread out over different organizations
- Currently volunteering at a free clinic

I know I don't have enough volunteer hours and I'm working on getting clinical hours this summer. I feel like I still don't have enough EC to make me competitive applicant for a DO school. What are some things I could do to improve this? Do I even have a chance ATM with my stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, so I just wrapped up my Junior year and I need some advice on how I can fill in the gaps. Here's some info:

URM located in SC
3.4 cGPA (upward trend)/ 3.0 sGPA
MCAT TBD - taking in january

EC:
- Clinical assistant (few months)
- Research assistant (1 yr)
- 1 year of research
- Co-founded a nonprofit in my community
- Exec board member for minority pre-meds club (2 yrs)
- Intern Foundation for International Medical Relief of Children (160 volunteer hours)
- 50 volunteer hours at hospital (don't know if this counts as clinical hours since I was working with patients)
- Currently a patient screener at a hospital
- 20 Shadowing hours (DO)
- 100 volunteer hours with my sorority spread out over different organizations
- Currently volunteering at a free clinic

I know I don't have enough volunteer hours and I'm working on getting clinical hours this summer. I feel like I still don't have enough EC to make me competitive applicant for a DO school. What are some things I could do to improve this? Do I even have a chance ATM with my stats?
Keep your sGPA over 3.0 and get at least a 502 on the MCAT stat-wise you will have a good chance at mostDO schools, A 505 at least should be your goal though. Overall I like the ECs I personally would try to shadow a little more, when I applied the general consensus was around 50 hours. I would also get involved in some more nonclinical opportunities if you have the time.

Reactions: 1 users
If you keep your current volunteering going, I think you'll be okay on hours. The biggest things are: 1) do as well as you can on the MCAT (Ideally, 502+), and 2) your sGPA is a little low. You will be screened out of some DO schools with a 3.0 sGPA - some schools have hard cutoffs. Just keep that in mind as you make a school list.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Keep your sGPA over 3.0 and get at least a 502 on the MCAT stat-wise you will have a good chance at mostDO schools, A 505 at least should be your goal though. Overall I like the ECs I personally would try to shadow a little more, when I applied the general consensus was around 50 hours. I would also get involved in some more nonclinical opportunities if you have the time.
I heard that most schools don't really ask for a lot of shadowing hours but I guess doing more won't hurt! I'm working on getting nonclinical ECs but it's been so hard to fit in time for it. I'll keep all these things in mind. Thanks drstranger!

If you keep your current volunteering going, I think you'll be okay on hours. The biggest things are: 1) do as well as you can on the MCAT (Ideally, 502+), and 2) your sGPA is a little low. You will be screened out of some DO schools with a 3.0 sGPA - some schools have hard cutoffs. Just keep that in mind as you make a school list.
Unfortunately my sGPA is not great but hopefully I can bump it up with the science courses I'm taking next semester. As for the MCAT, I'm crossing my fingers I score at least a 505+ to make myself more competitive..

I would have suggested what the others have posted. Aim for that 502+ but in your case you have a really low GPA and an even lower sGPA at 3.0 which is DANGEROUSLY low. You still have 1 more year so do your best and try to get that 4.0 and at worse you might finish off with a 3.75+. Aim for the highest GPA goal so if things do not go your way you wont be brought down too much. The best way to counter a low GPA is a decently high MCAT score so aim for a 505(+) and you will have a fairly good shot of achieving at least 1 acceptance.

505 probably wouldn't make up for a 3.0 sGPA except for newer schools. I would aim as high as possible, ideally 510+
Upward trend is definitely helpful, however

505 probably wouldn't make up for a 3.0 sGPA except for newer schools. I would aim as high as possible, ideally 510+
Upward trend is definitely helpful, however
He has 1 more year left so I am hoping he can bump that 3.0 a bit. If he achieves a 510+ he could start putting in some MD schools too.

I would have suggested what the others have posted. Aim for that 502+ but in your case you have a really low GPA and an even lower sGPA at 3.0 which is DANGEROUSLY low. You still have 1 more year so do your best and try to get that 4.0 and at worse you might finish off with a 3.75+. Aim for the highest GPA goal so if things do not go your way you wont be brought down too much. The best way to counter a low GPA is a decently high MCAT score so aim for a 505(+) and you will have a fairly good shot of achieving at least 1 acceptance.
I thought that 3.4-3.5 cGPA range was okay for DO schools? I know that I don't really have a shot at MD with my stats but I'm looking to apply to mostly DOs anyways. I know that my 3.0 sGPA is basically at the cutoff for most schools but I'm hoping to improve that next semester.

He has 1 more year left so I am hoping he can bump that 3.0 a bit. If he achieves a 510+ he could start putting in some MD schools too.
*she ;) but yes hopefully!

*she ;) but yes hopefully!
Not hopefully. You got this and believe you are better than the competition, only person that will hold you back is yourself. Destroy the other students in the last year and get that admission girl!

• Care