How can private practice compete??

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tippy,

Are you just gettin' you ***** handed to you out there in business lately? just curious. I'm down on the profession's future too, but you just seem bitter and pissed.

Members don't see this ad.

tippy,

Are you just gettin' you ***** handed to you out there in business lately? just curious. I'm down on the profession's future too, but you just seem bitter and pissed.

Ha, ha. No, no. I've just seen the writing on the wall from some time now. Hey, I like driving expensive cars. But there just isn't enough of people out there with fat wallets to make every car lot stock Lexus, Mercedes and Ferraris.

85+% buy the Hyundai/Toyota/Ford.

Most people just need basic transportation. Most people just need basic eyewear. We're all there for the Mac-Daddy/Momma that wants the Gucci frame for $1,000. I'll kiss their butt all day long (as I laugh at them behind their back for wasting so much money).

But more and more people are the Honey-Boo-Boo mama with a credit card and an internet connection.

Sorry. Me? I'll all good. Got my ducks in a row. Just calling it like I see it for the present and future as my own sister-in-law orders her entire family decent quality glasses online for $15 each. I checked them. They are fine :(

Ha, ha. No, no. I've just seen the writing on the wall from some time now. Hey, I like driving expensive cars. But there just isn't enough of people out there with fat wallets to make every car lot stock Lexus, Mercedes and Ferraris.

85+% buy the Hyundai/Toyota/Ford.

Most people just need basic transportation. Most people just need basic eyewear. We're all there for the Mac-Daddy/Momma that wants the Gucci frame for $1,000. I'll kiss their butt all day long (as I laugh at them behind their back for wasting so much money).

But more and more people are the Honey-Boo-Boo mama with a credit card and an internet connection.

Sorry. Me? I'll all good. Got my ducks in a row. Just calling it like I see it for the present and future as my own sister-in-law orders her entire family decent quality glasses online for $15 each. I checked them. They are fine :(

I can only speak as an outsider, but I notice some OD's take the approach that if you order cheap glasses you also probably have cheap taste in other things. I'm not sure how true that is. I have a ton of disposable income, and I have no issue spending tons of money on lots of material goods. Some of which is superficial.

Even though I could easily spend 500 dollars on glasses(hell I could spend 500 dollars each on 10 different pairs), i don't because I haven't been able to tell any difference. I can tell a difference when I eat at Morton's vs Outback...thats why I eat there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can only speak as an outsider, but I notice some OD's take the approach that if you order cheap glasses you also probably have cheap taste in other things. I'm not sure how true that is. I have a ton of disposable income, and I have no issue spending tons of money on lots of material goods. Some of which is superficial.

Even though I could easily spend 500 dollars on glasses(hell I could spend 500 dollars each on 10 different pairs), i don't because I haven't been able to tell any difference. I can tell a difference when I eat at Morton's vs Outback...thats why I eat there.

Are u presbyopic, or do u have a moderate to high refractive error with decent astigmatism?

I agree that a -1.00D myope...meh, go ahead go cheap, but more complicated refractive errors don't tent to come out too well, with quality materials, measurements, and fitted frames.

I'm very fortunate to have a patient base that is older and more demanding. Interestingly a significant amount of those demanding patients were created from either starting with cheap glasses and then getting some from me, or starting with me, saying hell no i'm not paying that much anymore, going cheap....and than coming back to me.

I don't charge ridiculous mark-ups, but I do only use quality digital progressives, quality AR that wont craze off in 4 months, and good index materials. My practice includes the whole spectrum of consumers. I cater to their needs and price concerns. I can make a single vision pair of glasses in poly for $27, I charge $79.

Its interesting that people have come to assume that the internet is cheaper, and when I tell them what we charge for glasses and contacts, they are taken aback. A human deals with them too, and if they have problems we are right next door.

There will and always has been someone willing to sell something for less....you don't compete on that level. if you do you're dead.

Also my optical accounts for only about 18% of my net income soo....whatever.

Last edited:
Are u presbyopic, or do u have a moderate to high refractive error with decent astigmatism?

I agree that a -1.00D myope...meh, go ahead go cheap, but more complicated refractive errors don't tent to come out too well, with quality materials, measurements, and fitted frames.

I'm very fortunate to have a patient base that is older and more demanding. Interestingly a significant amount of those demanding patients were created from either starting with cheap glasses and then getting some from me, or starting with me, saying hell no i'm not paying that much anymore, going cheap....and than coming back to me.

I don't charge ridiculous mark-ups, but I do only use quality digital progressives, quality AR that wont craze off in 4 months, and good index materials. My practice includes the whole spectrum of consumers. I cater to their needs and price concerns. I can make a single vision pair of glasses in poly for $27, I charge $79.

Its interesting that people have come to assume that the internet is cheaper, and when I tell them what we charge for glasses and contacts, they are taken aback. A human deals with them too, and if they have problems we are right next door.

There will and always has been someone willing to sell something for less....you don't compete on that level. if you do you're dead.

well I only wear glasses about 15% of the time(contacts the rest) so it's not as big a deal for me I guess.

Not sure how bad my vision is....it's not good I know that.

In terms of the vision between the two glasses, I couldn't tell a difference. But come to think of it I don't think I was really trying to pick up small differences.But interestingly enough I got several compliments on the cheaper glasses; much moreso than with the expensive glasses. Now maybe that just means I had poor taste in picking out the expensive pair:)....

"Just got to see a pair of Warby Parker frame/lenses over the weekend. Patient born 1985, I first saw 1989, first glasses in 1993 in poly and then SCL in 1996. Stable at -5.50DS OU for the last 10 years so she purchased a pair of their glasses a few months ago. Comes in for yearly exam having no problems with her SCLs but the glasses give her headaches, slightly blurry central vision and distorted peripheral vision.

First thing I notice is that the base curve is flat at 1.00, too flat, when compared to her previous glasses. Power is right on but the optical centers are 11mm below the visual axis. Lenses fit snug and have a 1.09 ct. The AR coating is different between the two lenses. One has a bluish-green hue while the other is clearly greenish. One lens marks easily with a Sharpie while the other one does not. One has a hydrophobic coating and one doesn't? PD is within 1mm using their computer assist in determining your PD.

She tells me they have a redo warranty on the glasses and to just send them back. However, after I explain the issues to her she isn't sure they will be able to follow my instructions on how to make new lenses. Determines it is too much trouble and asks me to make new lenses for her. "

this was posted today on another site

well I only wear glasses about 15% of the time(contacts the rest) so it's not as big a deal for me I guess.

Not sure how bad my vision is....it's not good I know that.

In terms of the vision between the two glasses, I couldn't tell a difference. But come to think of it I don't think I was really trying to pick up small differences.But interestingly enough I got several compliments on the cheaper glasses; much moreso than with the expensive glasses. Now maybe that just means I had poor taste in picking out the expensive pair:)....

if that's the case why pay so much for warby parker? why not buy a $20 pair from walmart? or a $7 pair from zenni?

Because Warby Parker has made itself a lot "cooler" than walmart or zenni. They have gotten celebritys to wear their glasses etc...

That is true. I lived in New York City and a lot of young people who were fashionable ordered Warby Parkers because they were considered vogue.

Chris Thiagarajah MD
www.dceyelid.com
Washington Oculoplastics

Thank you. This is the exact tact that we take.

Yes, some people want only what's cheapest and some people won't notice a major difference in vision with a more high end pair of glasses like Vistaril and that's fine.

A high end pair of -1.00s may not get you substantially better vision than a low end pair but a high end pair of -1.00s will almost always come in a much more durable frame that can hold it's adjustment for more than 6 hours, have anti-reflective coating that is uniformly applied so it won't chip or craze after 4 months of wear and is fit into the frame by a licensed optician rather than a trained monkey in a Chinese warehouse.

So again...just because someone doesn't notice a major difference in vision doesn't mean that there isn't a difference in the product. Some people may not care about the difference, and that's fine....there's a whole host of low end options for them. They can go to Warby or Walmart or Zenni or whatever.

Let me tell a story about a patient I had a couple of months back.

New patient goes through the pre-screening process. I come into the exam room and he's reading a tablet device. Start the history and he tells me that his distance vision is fine and he uses only "cheaters" from Costco to see up close. He gets them in a pack of 5 for ten dollars.

I asked him what that thing he had in his lap was and he proudly reported it was the latest iPad.

"Is that he one with the retina display and the 2 billion mega pixels?" I asked him.

"Yup!"

"That's a $1000 device. Why are you looking at it through a $2 piece of plastic? You might as well take that iPad down to the hockey rink and put it on the other side of the glass and you'll get the same vision."

He laughed a little bit but seemed to at least acknowledge the potential absurdity.

He ended up getting a proper set of reading glasses, with a proper anti-reflective coating with his exact prescription which did have a little bit of cylinder and was slightly different between the two eyes and when he picks them up, he looks at the same iPad and says "wow....this IS a lot better."

Would Warby have used the same products? Nope.

Thank you. This is the exact tact that we take.

Yes, some people want only what's cheapest and some people won't notice a major difference in vision with a more high end pair of glasses like Vistaril and that's fine.

A high end pair of -1.00s may not get you substantially better vision than a low end pair but a high end pair of -1.00s will almost always come in a much more durable frame that can hold it's adjustment for more than 6 hours, have anti-reflective coating that is uniformly applied so it won't chip or craze after 4 months of wear and is fit into the frame by a licensed optician rather than a trained monkey in a Chinese warehouse.

So again...just because someone doesn't notice a major difference in vision doesn't mean that there isn't a difference in the product. Some people may not care about the difference, and that's fine....there's a whole host of low end options for them. They can go to Warby or Walmart or Zenni or whatever.

Bingo. The glasses I'm wearing right now I've had since 2005. Haven't needed any adjustments, repairs, or anything in all that time.

Because Warby Parker has made itself a lot "cooler" than walmart or zenni. They have gotten celebritys to wear their glasses etc...

lol, exactly my point. Presumably Vistaril, and the other hipster duffus' on here, don't necessarily subscribe to their own reasoning. They don't want the cheap Chinese junk at zenni or walmart.... they wanted something better. That it still happens to be equivalent to a pair of Medicaid glasses is irrelevant. For them it is better.

snicker

Members don't see this ad :)
All of the anecdotal tales of patients coming around to see how important it is to overspend at an independent OD's office, as opposed to an online retailer, really don't amount to much of anything in the grand scheme of things. The fact is, the percentage of the public that is comfortable buying online is rapidly increasing, while the number of ODs in the country is growing exponentially. See the problem there?

As others and I have said before, there will always be a portion of the population that wants to spend the extra money to get the higher quality and better service that can be had at a private office. Those are the patients that sustain private optometry...and whether through conversion, death, or through dilution of the patient:OD ratio, those patients are effectively disappearing. THAT is the core of the problem for future ODs. The fields are drying up, while the herd is growing bigger and bigger. It can only have one outcome.

All of the anecdotal tales of patients coming around to see how important it is to overspend at an independent OD's office, as opposed to an online retailer, really don't amount to much of anything in the grand scheme of things. The fact is, the percentage of the public that is comfortable buying online is rapidly increasing, while the number of ODs in the country is growing exponentially. See the problem there?

As others and I have said before, there will always be a portion of the population that wants to spend the extra money to get the higher quality and better service that can be had at a private office. Those are the patients that sustain private optometry...and whether through conversion, death, or through dilution of the patient:OD ratio, those patients are effectively disappearing. THAT is the core of the problem for future ODs. The fields are drying up, while the herd is growing bigger and bigger. It can only have one outcome.

This is why it's so critical to position yourself correctly if you're going to go into private practice.

We find a vanishingly small number of our patients going online. And the ones that are, were already going elsewhere for their eyewear anyways.

I think most of the low end bottom feeders online are simply cannibalizing from other low end brick and mortar places like Walmart, JCPenney and Costco and the low end private practices.

This is why it's so critical to position yourself correctly if you're going to go into private practice.

We find a vanishingly small number of our patients going online. And the ones that are, were already going elsewhere for their eyewear anyways.

I think most of the low end bottom feeders online are simply cannibalizing from other low end brick and mortar places like Walmart, JCPenney and Costco and the low end private practices.

Exactly - you have that experience, but the tens of thousands of graduates who are set to enter the pipeline over the next few years, aren't in your position. They're in a different game, altogether, and it's one in which they'll very likely find themselves in a very difficult position, whether they try to avoid it or not. The numbers simply won't allow for anything else. I'm speaking to those people - the ones who stand to lose, not current ODs. That's the primary problem right now, as I see it...prospects have no idea that what you, and other ODs are doing in your offices, actually has little to do with what they will be able to do when they graduate in 5, 6, 7 years...or more. It's a different profession now, and it's one that will have an ever-shrinking need for private ODs.

Exactly - you have that experience, but the tens of thousands of graduates who are set to enter the pipeline over the next few years, aren't in your position. They're in a different game, altogether, and it's one in which they'll very likely find themselves in a very difficult position, whether they try to avoid it or not. The numbers simply won't allow for anything else. I'm speaking to those people - the ones who stand to lose, not current ODs. That's the primary problem right now, as I see it...prospects have no idea that what you, and other ODs are doing in your offices, actually has little to do with what they will be able to do when they graduate in 5, 6, 7 years...or more. It's a different profession now, and it's one that will have an ever-shrinking need for private ODs.

I think you've made your point well over the last 1000+ posts. The kiddos are going to take your advice, or not. you're not gonna save optometry, and you're altruistic?? countless attempts to save the lost souls in the optometric pipeline, while admirable, really makes little difference. go and enjoy life man....it's short. unless, of course, you just enjoy the banter...then by all means carry on.

I think you've made your point well over the last 1000+ posts. The kiddos are going to take your advice, or not. you're not gonna save optometry, and you're altruistic?? countless attempts to save the lost souls in the optometric pipeline, while admirable, really makes little difference. go and enjoy life man....it's short. unless, of course, you just enjoy the banter...then by all means carry on.

I wouldn't be here if my presence were not making a difference for some. I've lost count of how many users have emailed me to tell me, "Well, I read what you said, asked some questions of my own, and found out you were right - thanks." I have no delusions of "saving optometry." The profession is dead already, it just still has a heart that will beat for a while. No one can save optometry anymore. I'm not on here for optometry; I'm on here for people who would stand to lose a couple of hundred thousand dollars to the likes of quasi-criminal administrators, salaried at $250K/yr+ with full retirement benefits and hot tubs in their office. With full smiles, they tell countless OD prospects that "This is the greatest time to enter the profession!"

I'm fully aware that there are some out there who can only learn by falling into the trap. As far as optometry forums go, it's either here or ODWire, and on the latter, ODs simply argue about this stuff under the cover of darkness, in which no student ever sees or hears the matters being discussed. At least here, prospects get to see the dirty laundry out in the open, and they can take it or leave it.

As far as enjoying life? Couldn't be better since I left the OD pit of despair:D I no longer lay awake at night, wondering if I'll have an income stream in 15 years, when ODs are literally crawling all over the US like a swarm of angry locusts. Now all I have to worry about is whether or not we'll have a dollar that's worth more than the "paper" it's printed on in a few years.

Last edited:
I know of this office hot tub of which you speak. Are there more?

lol, exactly my point. Presumably Vistaril, and the other hipster duffus' on here, don't necessarily subscribe to their own reasoning. They don't want the cheap Chinese junk at zenni or walmart.... they wanted something better. That it still happens to be equivalent to a pair of Medicaid glasses is irrelevant. For them it is better.

snicker

maybe we're misinformed because we thought the 80 dollar pair of glasses at WB is better than the ultracheap stuff(which I didnt know even existed...next time I might try to find a 10 pair..thanks!)....also, unless I've been reading the wrong forum by accident, people who think the way I do appear to be dominant and increasing. Otherwise instead of 10 million posts on how optometry has a negative future there would be tons of positive posts with new OD's guaranteed to bask in the financial glory from selling people 2 pairs each of 350 dollar glasses at their new private practices.

I know of this office hot tub of which you speak. Are there more?

Yes, but they're figurative in nature. The only physical hot tub that I know of, which actually exists in an administrator's office, belonged to good ol' Les Walls. I've never seen it with my own eyes, but I know it exists.....

...pure evil.

maybe we're misinformed because we thought the 80 dollar pair of glasses at WB is better than the ultracheap stuff(which I didnt know even existed...next time I might try to find a 10 pair..thanks!)....also, unless I've been reading the wrong forum by accident, people who think the way I do appear to be dominant and increasing. Otherwise instead of 10 million posts on how optometry has a negative future there would be tons of positive posts with new OD's guaranteed to bask in the financial glory from selling people 2 pairs each of 350 dollar glasses at their new private practices.

The main negative about optometry, from what my lurking here and elsewhere has suggested to me, if an oversupply of optometrists from new schools opening. The consumer end of things is only an issue in that light.

I wouldn't be here if my presence were not making a difference for some. I've lost count of how many users have emailed me to tell me, "Well, I read what you said, asked some questions of my own, and found out you were right - thanks." I have no delusions of "saving optometry." The profession is dead already, it just still has a heart that will beat for a while. No one can save optometry anymore. I'm not on here for optometry; I'm on here for people who would stand to lose a couple of hundred thousand dollars to the likes of quasi-criminal administrators, salaried at $250K/yr+ with full retirement benefits and hot tubs in their office. With full smiles, they tell countless OD prospects that "This is the greatest time to enter the profession!"

I'm fully aware that there are some out there who can only learn by falling into the trap. As far as optometry forums go, it's either here or ODWire, and on the latter, ODs simply argue about this stuff under the cover of darkness, in which no student ever sees or hears the matters being discussed. At least here, prospects get to see the dirty laundry out in the open, and they can take it or leave it.

As far as enjoying life? Couldn't be better since I left the OD pit of despair:D I no longer lay awake at night, wondering if I'll have an income stream in 15 years, when ODs are literally crawling all over the US like a swarm of angry locusts. Now all I have to worry about is whether or not we'll have a dollar that's worth more than the "paper" it's printed on in a few years.

there's a world of difference between this place and odwire, one key difference being that you wouldn't be able to validate your career failures there with a never ending rant.

ultracheap stuff ? Hehe, what makes them "ultra cheap", the retail cost? lol, well its all relative isn't it? Try comparing apples to apples, trust me, warby is also "ultra cheap". Walmart et al, have been doing the SAME EXACT thing for decades. As for "dominance" last I checked online sales capture maybe 10-15% (at best) and that number doesn't show what appears to be a large number of first timers who never go back. So "dominance" isn't really the word I'd use to describe your opinion. Fact is most choose brick and mortar for a whole bunch of very good reasons. Fact is that lack of service, outright errors, customer dissatisfaction, order delays, and the ever present subjective nature of eyeglass sales, makes online eyeglasses a little bit like gambling. They burn bridges faster then they can build them. Maybe you should have a money guy take a look at the profit and loss statements of some of the larger publicly offered companies. Its pretty revealing.

As well, listening to the doom and gloom put out by a handful of disgruntled ODs probably isn't the best way to gauge a profession. Sure optometry has its share of problems, but online sales is more of an annoying thorn then any major threat. Annoying because generally we are the ones cleaning up the mess, dealing with people who are already upset because their cheapo warby specs are giving them problems. I've already taken the position that I wont touch any outside spectacle, as it is way to much hassle to inject myself into that ridiculous chain.

If your happy with them, that's good I'm sure you wont be darkening my door wondering "what's wrong with my eyes", because those are the ones that usually come in for an office visit. If anything, because of online orders, I won't be surprised in the slightest to start seeing more people for eyeglass related problems then ever, because for the first time in the last 30-40 years there is a very large and unregulated market for what are essentially "grey market" eyeglasses. Unqualified opticianry, skirting most states regulations on dispensing, ANSI violations, etc. Every goon in the third world sweat chops (yes China I mean you too) is taking some crappy poly blanks they got on alibaba into there edger and screwing them in to cheapo plastic made from who knows what. Surfacing?, high order aberration?, induced prism? safety concerns? "quality control"? yeah right, more like clever marketing to an ignorant segment of the population. That's all it takes really.

there's a world of difference between this place and odwire, one key difference being that you wouldn't be able to validate your career failures there with a never ending rant.

Funny thing, last week I was in the market for a new fire alarm system. Normally, I'd visit my trusty local, private, independent fire alarm seller, but this year, I decided to throw caution to the wind, and go online to www.ain'tnobodygonnaburndownmybuilding.com. It's a fantastic site, in that you can select up to 5 alarms, test them out in the comfort of your own building, choose the one you want, and they'll ship the other 4 back at on their dime. Being somewhat of a movie buff, I chose the "Cheesy 80s Movies" line of products, and I narrowed it down to 2 choices, before ordering.

Option 1) "Police Academy": This particular model features the pre-recorded voice of none other than Laverne Hooks (Marion Ramsey), the soft spoken, timid African American trainee from the film. When triggered, the alarm blurts out:

14280-15044.gif

"Ummmm....excuse me, excuse me, sir, I hate to bother you, but there is a smaaaaaaaaall, very tiny, probably insignificant possibility that the building is, well may be, sort of....on fire. You might want to, maybe, and I not saying you have to, but you may want to consider vacating the premises. I'm not even sure if there is a fire, I'm just....ok, it looks like the back of your coat has some flames running up it, but I mean, that's not necessarily a problem. Aaaand, your hair is smoking. Ok, if you want, you could put down that copy of the Journal of the American Optometric Associ.....hey, wasn't that thing cancelled last ye?...you know what? Never mind, not important. Ok, I'm starting to melt, so I'm just gonna go ahead and leave, but you're welcome to stay. I hope this wasn't a bother to you."

Option 2) "Police Academy 2": This model features the pre-recorded voice of Zed (Bobcat Goldthwait), that carries on in a "never-ending rant," warning people of the impending doom they will likely suffer if they choose to stay in the building.

zed-mcglunk.png

Now, 310 (edited), which of those two models would you choose, the quiet, soft-spken one, which no one will hear, or the loud, annoying one, that everyone on the block can hear? I'm not here for you, my dear.

Also, you might benefit from dragging your claws, repeatedly, over some sort of carpeted wooden pole, and maybe stuff some catnip in your pillow. If that doesn't work, try this on for size....

.....DON'T - READ - MY - POSTS. :love:

Last edited:
Funny thing, last week I was in the market for a new fire alarm system. Normally, I'd visit my trusty local, private, independent fire alarm seller, but this year, I decided to throw caution to the wind, and go online to www.ain'tnobodygonnaburndownmybuilding.com. It's a fantastic site, in that you can select up to 5 alarms, test them out in the comfort of your own building, choose the one you want, and they'll ship the other 4 back at on their dime. Being somewhat of a movie buff, I chose the "Cheesy 80s Movies" line of products, and I narrowed it down to 2 choices, before ordering.

Option 1) "Police Academy": This particular model features the pre-recorded voice of none other than Laverne Hooks (Marion Ramsey), the soft spoken, timid African American trainee from the film. When triggered, the alarm blurts out:

14280-15044.gif

"Ummmm....excuse me, excuse me, sir, I hate to bother you, but there is a smaaaaaaaaall, very tiny, probably insignificant possibility that the building is, well may be, sort of....on fire. You might want to, maybe, and I not saying you have to, but you may want to consider vacating the premises. I'm not even sure if there is a fire, I'm just....ok, it looks like the back of your coat has some flames running up it, but I mean, that's not necessarily a problem. Aaaand, your hair is smoking. Ok, if you want, you could put down that copy of the Journal of the American Optometric Associ.....hey, wasn't that thing cancelled last ye?...you know what? Never mind, not important. Ok, I'm starting to melt, so I'm just gonna go ahead and leave, but you're welcome to stay. I hope this wasn't a bother to you."

Option 2) "Police Academy 2": This model features the pre-recorded voice of Zed (Bobcat Goldthwait), that carries on in a "never-ending rant," warning people of the impending doom they will likely suffer if they choose to stay in the building.

zed-mcglunk.png

Now, east, which of those two models would you choose, the quiet, soft-spken one, which no one will hear, or the loud, annoying one, that everyone on the block can hear? I'm not here for you, my dear.

Also, you might benefit from dragging your claws, repeatedly, over some sort of carpeted wooden pole, and maybe stuff some catnip in your pillow. If that doesn't work, try this on for size....

.....DON'T - READ - MY - POSTS. :love:

easy killer..take a look at the quote you just responded to with this brilliance. it wasn't from me. break the pills in half next time. seriously respond to those who you you quote, and pay attention. I have never and would never make a statement like he one you just responded to.

easy killer..take a look at the quote you just responded to with this brilliance. it wasn't from me. break the pills in half next time. seriously respond to those who you you quote, and pay attention. I have never and would never make a statement like he one you just responded to.

Hmm...looks like I deserved that one - my most sincere apolgies. 310, east is out - YOU'RE in. All references to feline sassiness can be applied to Mr/Mrs LA area code, and directed away from the eastern seaboard.

Yawn. You don't even know my financial situation or anything about me. I will be successful because I have plans in place and and I don't need you or your kin telling me otherwise.

I've been around/interned with a few successful recent grads (08 and 09). I mentioned to them this website and the concerns that are brought up on here. They think people like you and your hyperbole is a joke. I mean for god's sake, you're an OD and you spend every waking moment on here bitching about your profession. No wonder you're such a loser. I feel bad for you, chief.

:thumbup:
Same guys from optometrysucks

Last edited:
:thumbup:
Same guys from optometrysucks

Wrong - no pre opt students go to optometrysucks, just people who already know that the profession is doomed. But if it makes you feel better, you're free to think as you please. It changes nothing.

Last edited:
Wrong - no pre opt students go to optometrysucks

So you brought optometrysucks here...as a public service.

I thought you said you were on your way out of Optometry in December 2011
"and not looking back"

You spend a lot of time on something your done with ?

Over saturated: agreed
Tuition cost way too high: agreed
Internet and Commercialization made it very difficult to succeed with old business models: yep
Optometry is dead: greatly over exaggerated

Last edited:
So you brought optometrysucks here...as a public service.

I thought you said you were on your way out of Optometry in December 2011
"and not looking back"

You spend a lot of time on something your done with ?

I "brought optometrysucks here?" No, I didn't. I brought "Optometry is very likely not what you think it is, and it's being sold to you as something it isn't" here....as a public service.

I've been completely out of optometry for quite some time now, and no longer have to worry about whether or not my income source will dry up as optometry continues to destroy itself.

I find it interesting that you would assume that my leaving the profession would somehow fix all of optometry's problems, and that students would cease to be duped by schools and corporations that stand to profit from their ignorance.

I "brought optometrysucks here?" No, I didn't. I brought "Optometry is very likely not what you think it is, and it's being sold to you as something it isn't" here....as a public service.

I've been completely out of optometry for quite some time now, and no longer have to worry about whether or not my income source will dry up as optometry continues to destroy itself.

I find it interesting that you would assume that my leaving the profession would somehow fix all of optometry's problems, and that students would cease to be duped by schools and corporations that stand to profit from their ignorance.

Oh !! so your are out and you still spend all this time on here :confused:

Your even more of a whack job than I imagined :wtf:

It only took 12 minutes for you to reply to my post thats scary.

You just happened to be on SDN at the same time as me on a holiday weekend...wow

Someone who has steered the conversation here for over a year and bullied students who this forum was built for,
should fully identify themselves ( Drs. on ODwire have no problem doing that )

Next...another anonymous OD or some professional should be along to validate Jason..pretty clear pattern.

Last edited:

Oh !! so your are out and you still spend all this time on here :confused:

Your even more of a whack job than I imagined :wtf:

It only took 12 minutes for you to reply to my post thats scary.

You just happened to be on SDN at the same time as me on a holiday weekend...wow

Someone who has steered the conversation here for over a year and bullied students who this forum was built for,
should fully identify themselves ( Drs. on ODwire have no problem doing that )

Next...another anonymous OD or some professional should be along to validate Jason..pretty clear pattern.

Take a look at my average post/day over the last 6 months, chief.

And are you seriously so unaware of yourself, that you criticize me for being in front of a computer, at the same time you are.....on a "holiday weekend?" Really?

With all of your periodic "blow into town every so often, and spread around some sunshine" nonsense posting, one thing you never seem to be able to do is offer any concrete proof that what I am saying is untrue - pretty typical of the OD with his head in the sand. I'd bet that behind closed doors, you quietly agree with what I'm saying, but keep your happy face on, it helps the schools who need to fill their seats with $200K heads.

Finally, please point to an instance where I 'bullied" any student. I'd love to find out what you meant by that. If, by "bullying," you are referring to instances in which I've deflected insults, then I think you need to revisit your definition of the word. So, go ahead and post some examples. Actually, just post one. There are over 1000 posts to choose from.

.....oh, and for what it's worth, I've always disclosed my identity on here, although I won't release my last name. My first name is Chuck, and my last initial is N. What else do you want, my blood type? And spare me that last comment, please. I have one screen name, and one only. Any one of the moderators can tell you that. Nice try to discredit me, though....that was cute.

Last edited:
.....oh, and for what it's worth, I've always disclosed my identity on here, although I won't release my last name. My first name is Chuck, and my last initial is N.

Okay Chuck...:laugh:
I'm Barry O

Hmm...looks like I deserved that one - my most sincere apolgies. 310, east is out - YOU'RE in. All references to feline sassiness can be applied to Mr/Mrs LA area code, and directed away from the eastern seaboard.

So sweet of you to write all of that for me, dear.

(I live out east btw)