how can you prove you volunteered?

ihatepants

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what im asking is I plan to apply to college soon and have done many african american activites and volunteered tons so how can I prove I actually did this? or do they just trust you?

Members don't see this ad.

what im asking is I plan to apply to college soon and have done many african american activites and volunteered tons so how can I prove I actually did this? or do they just trust you?

This will depend on the specific college application form.

But for medical school applications (which is essentially one online program called AMCAS/AACOMAS), you would list all the activities you participated in, the dates and approximate total hours involved and then provide contact information (contact person, phone number/email address, physical address). Many college application forms have a similar format.

Realistically speaking, I doubt anyone would bother to double-check and the only time the activity would be brought up would be as a possible topic of conversation during an interview. Of course, getting caught lying on any aspect of your application is essentially an automatic rejection (and worse, should the admissions coordinator decide to contact the other schools you applied to... similar situations have happened in the past).

A transcript. For example I asked the hospital I volunteered at for a transcript and they mailed it to me. It has contact numbers, directions, number of hours I volunteered during the summer, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another good way to prove your involvement is to have your volunteer coordinator/supervisor write a letter of recommendation for you. That way, you have a signed letter talking about your involvement, your projects, and (hopefully) your good qualities all at the same time.

You can send in a letter of rec if thats possible. Also along with all that volunteer work you also have awards or something along those lines that you have gotten from the organization that you can also include.