How Cliquey(sp) is pharm School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheHillCrew

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How cliquely is pharm school (academically and socially) ? How soon do cliques form? Do people hang out with eachother outside of class (socially)?

Members don't see this ad.

How cliquely is pharm school (academically and socially) ? How soon do cliques form? Do people hang out with eachother outside of class (socially)?

Of course...it isn't different from anything else. You are more likely to hang out with people you have similar interests with and are more comfortable with. People make friends the first day. I think everyone in general is pretty respectful to eachother. I hang out with all sorts of people from my class outside of school. Some of my best friends are in my class. It is not uncommon to go to one of the local bars on a Thursday night and see a whole slew of your classmates.

It's just human nature bud. Professional students form cliques just as fast as high school students, people are people.

I found throughout orientation you go to social events - immediately some people don't attend everything so they're off your social radar - then you start to converse with people, similar interests/attitudes etc. I'd say two weeks in most people stop shuffling around and find little areas of the class to sit in, etc. It's how it always goes.

My friends in class hang outside of class a lot, but again that's really my kind of crowd. There are friends in class who sit by each other but don't really go out with the class; that's not how I do things, but it's fine. My buddies play hockey/basketball together, then we go out on the weekends etc. Social context is completely different than inside the classroom, so it's almost like hanging out with different people in a sense - I don't really get sick of the same people. Ironically I get sick of the people I only see in the classroom, but that's largely due to the fact they're anal, studying maniacs and they never go out ;).

Members don't see this ad :)
Organizations at my school actually sponsor club outings and that sort of thing. They've gotten into trouble because they've mentioned the alcohol deals too much. Apparently the UIC COP administration don't want us to have a reputation of being alcoholics.
People tend to get to know the people who they sit next to. In my area, if someone sits where someone else normally does, we tease them, good naturedly.

Requim--- Where do you go???

School man. Repeatedly beaten by the pole of academia, no other way to put it. 7 courses.

Luckily I'm on midterm break now, regaining my sanity. Finally reading a book that's not related to school for a change. Taking your time at the gym is a plus too.

How are you?

No Requiem>>>Where do you go to school???? Oh BTW, WVPHarm, i was reading you blog, that is some funny ****.

I actually read the stats for my blog...I apparently get, like, 20,000 hits/month. WTF is that? I'm gonna start selling ad space on that ****. It could just be one or two obsessed stalkers though. Never know. I mean, I'd stalk me.

It's like high school all over again. Yes, there are cliques and subcliques and whatnot but that's just human nature. There are times where a bunch of people all go out together and not just in their normal clique.

We have quite a few cliques. I am a lot older so when I first started at my school I wasn't sure I'd find anyone to hang out with besides other non-trads. However, now some of my best school buds are among the younger crowd. We have a non-smoking/non-drinking/non-partying group that goes out after exams when everyone else is hitting the bars. Last time we went bowling. The proposal for March exams is roller stating but I'm not really in favor of that...we'll see.

love the trashcat! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
We have many, many cliques in my class. There are some groups of students who move as a single organism and talk to no one else. There are others that are fairly open. I get a kick out of it. I've formed friendships with particular people, but I tend to mingle around a fair bit. Hanging with the same people all the time really bores me.

Pharmacy school is just like highschool, just fewer emo and goth kids.

My reaction is that it is very cliquey - much worse than undergrad. However, I did go to a larger undergrad school and therefore was never in the same room all day every day with the same people like in pharmacy school. And, I felt that the cliques formed very fast - I sort of tried to resist that, because I was trying to meet a lot of people and I actually had other students comment ("oh, I noticed you sat by such and such instead of that group" type of comments). In the end, I've ended up with a smaller group (say 10 folks) that I sit with most of the time and hang out with. Then, I have another group of maybe 10 people or so that I consider to be decent friends.

My best advice is to not decide right off at orientation who you want to hang out with - take a few weeks, sit back, and kind of assess your class. Also, remember that some other things will start to affect who you hang out with - are you all living in campus housing, for example. Or, do you all go to the same organization meeting? Or, do you all pledge one of the Greek organizations together?

I'm one of those people requiem mentioned - I do very little outside of school hours with classmates, but that's mostly because I have two children and a husband who need some of my time too. I'm actually very jealous of the single folks in my class - it seems like there's always fun things going on that I don't have time to do!

It's like high school all over again. Yes, there are cliques and subcliques and whatnot but that's just human nature. There are times where a bunch of people all go out together and not just in their normal clique.

Pharmacy school is absolutely like high school. There's new drama every week that almost never has anything to do with academics. However based on my experiences 3rd year (1st professional year), cliques are formed in the fall and by the spring, you're not speaking to half of those individuals. In my class in particular, there's absolutely no harmony. Our class cannot agree on anything.