How close should I live?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NKMU

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been answered before, but I can't find it. How far away would you say is too far to live for an EM resident? I'm looking at a house that is ~17 miles or 27 minutes from the hospital. Traffic on those roads should not be a problem.

I personally think that's a reasonable drive (probably much shorter than the national average), but others tell me it's too far (considering long hours, being post-call, etc). What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

i have a classmate who commutes 30 miles, usually upwards of an hour each way during any semblance of rush hour. another does about 20 thru slightly worse traffic. this is in chicago and we have shift changes at 8am and 4pm so those are awful... haven't known either of them to be late to a shift or anything. one of them takes naps in her car sometimes before driving home after call.

i live 2 miles away, takes me 10 min plus 5 to park/walk in from the parking deck. no effect with rush hour, it's great.

I just bought a home on 2.5 acres in the country that is about 20 mins or so from the hospital.....

I think what will suck is going home post-call but luckily for us these will be limited with an end in sight. I think pre/post shift should not be bad...maybe after some bad shifts I'd wish to live closer... but its only 3 or 4 years...

Members don't see this ad :)
I live about 10 minutes away in 4 am traffic with a lead foot and 30minutes away in morning/afternoon traffic. However, it is worth it to have a nice house and some land. Overall the commute, like you said, is much less than the national average. I would choose to live 30 minutes away again if I had the choice of nice home/land over proximity to work. As many of you would say - My life is not solely my work. Go for it, live where you want. :thumbup:

That's fine. I lived a 4 minute walk from the hospital in a nice condo across the water, but most of my colleagues lived ~ 20 minutes or so from the hospital, and it wasn't ever a problem.

Q

Thanks for the quick responses!

I can't really relate to the residency factor, but I live across the street from my campus, and I sometimes wish I were further away to get away from it all. That and to relax and listen to the radio (which I rarely do at home). Then again, driving in rush hour traffic is fun for me because I choose to do it when I do.

This is a very personal choice and it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. If you think the drive is worth it then go for it, don't worry what anyone else thinks. That being said I think it is stupid to set yourself up for a long commute, but 27 min doesn't seem too bad.

I have a ridiculously long commute and can't recommend that (3am no traffic leadfoot hit every light record 40 min, usual without rush hour traffic over an hour, with rush hour, I have to plan on 2 hours -- try that after trauma call!) but I don't think just under half hour is bad. In fact, I think that's the perfect commute. Just enough time to decompress after a shift, especially a bad one, before you get home. Enough time to wake up and drink your coffee and jam to some tunes or listen to the news on the way in. If traffic is not a problem and you can count on a consistent commute time, I'd go for a half hour commute in return for a better house in a heartbeat!

I have been considering this a lot as well. I am usually allergic to commuting but my residency will pose me with a bit of a challenge with respects to this. If I live close to the hospital, I will be concerned to take the dogs out at night alone (not very scary dogs, will probably carry pepper spray or something). I certainly won't be walking around for anything else, only driving after dark. I don't think I will get randomly shot for no reason but definitely not too safe of an area, as far as I am told. However, living 20-25 mins away will provide me with a place where I pay a lot more but can walk down the street at 11pm to the local coffeeshop without a worry in the world. I think it is finally time to commute. :(

Anyone doing a SF bridge commute?

Anyone doing a SF bridge commute?

this is out of the city via the bay bridge, i take it?

a ucsf resident i worked with said he did a rotation at highland, and the commute pretty much sucked all 4 weeks. this was on OB.

i think leaving SF in the morning would be doable as it is against traffic, but it depends where you go after that. coming back...hmm. 511.org is your friend.

still, having lived in LA for 4 years, i'd gladly take bay area traffic anyday of the year. ;)