How closely do adcoms look at classes taken in a masters program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dro133

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I understand that the prevailing notion regarding graduate courses around here is that adcoms view them as easier than undergraduate courses, and thus don't weigh them as heavily. However, what if the courses have a strong medical slant? For example, some of the courses I took during my masters program included histology, pathology + histopathology lab, and human gross anatomy lab. Can any of the adcoms here or anyone who is familiar with the process comment on how closely adcoms dissect graduate transcripts, and whether or not these classes would help boost my "academic preparedness" in the eyes of adcoms, generally speaking?

Members don't see this ad.

Grades in Master's degree's are viewed to be inflated. We expect A's without regard to the course description.
Master's grades are not averaged into undergrad grades and do not remediate a weak undergrad performance.
Since most candidates do not have a Master's degree, the influence that they have in the MD process is modest (we cannot compare performance).
A weak performance will have a negative effect, though.

We teach what you need in medical school. Otherwise we couldn't have all the English, Anthro, Music...majors that do just fine.

SMP's have a different and specific purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
At my school and others (alas, but not gyngyn's) strong performance in an SMP and a strong MCAT can be rewarded.

We do look at the coursework taken. SMPs are supposed to be auditions for med school, so they should have coursework thay mimics med school.

People who perform well in our own SMP do well in our program, and people who do poorly do, well, poorly.

Research MS programs are taken less seriously.

Hi SDN,

I understand that the prevailing notion regarding graduate courses around here is that adcoms view them as easier than undergraduate courses, and thus don't weigh them as heavily. However, what if the courses have a strong medical slant? For example, some of the courses I took during my masters program included histology, pathology + histopathology lab, and human gross anatomy lab. Can any of the adcoms here or anyone who is familiar with the process comment on how closely adcoms dissect graduate transcripts, and whether or not these classes would help boost my "academic preparedness" in the eyes of adcoms, generally speaking?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. @Goro, my program was a little unique in the sense that on the surface it looks like a research-based MS, but some of the coursework had a medical slant to it. However, it was not a format SMP. The general vibe I am getting is that these classes won't do much for the adcoms...looks like it's back to post-bac work for me.

I think you'll still have luck with DO programs, your state MD schools and the new MD schools too.

Thanks for the replies. @Goro, my program was a little unique in the sense that on the surface it looks like a research-based MS, but some of the coursework had a medical slant to it. However, it was not a format SMP. The general vibe I am getting is that these classes won't do much for the adcoms...looks like it's back to post-bac work for me.