How closely does medical research have to align with chosen specialty like dermatology? Basic Science vs Clinical Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DefNotaGOAT

Reaction score
Was recommended to post this here to run by actual dermatologists!

Current med student here looking at potential research mentors. I'm exploring the dermatology field and am in talks with a few potential mentors. There is one clinical research project with a mentor/fellow about melanoma. However, their research kind of delves far more into the organ metastasis of melanoma and really less about the skin side of melanoma. On the other hand, I have an offer from a dermatology professor with a PhD and no MD that is basic science research related. This professor is in the actual dermatology apartment of the med school while the fellow is not. I had thought that it would be a bit easier to publish in clinical research than basic science research, but the connections of the professor would be vast, so I'm ultimately a little unsure about which offer to pursue. I'll probably do a lot more background research on both projects to see which one I'm ultimately more interested in. This also gave me some food for thought on other questions:

1. I am curious about how closely related the topic has to be to my future preferred specialty, whatever I finally decide on (just exploring derm for now). For example, would dermatology residencies count this melanoma clinical research project as dermatology based even if it's more about metastasis in other organs and just barely skin-related?

2. I have heard that it's easier to publish in clinical science than basic science, which makes me wonder whether I'd be able to publish in basic science. This is the main reason I'm a little unsure about pursuing the project under the professor, so I was wondering what other people's viewpoints on clinical vs basic science for dermatology was.

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Was recommended to post this here to run by actual dermatologists!

Current med student here looking at potential research mentors. I'm exploring the dermatology field and am in talks with a few potential mentors. There is one clinical research project with a mentor/fellow about melanoma. However, their research kind of delves far more into the organ metastasis of melanoma and really less about the skin side of melanoma. On the other hand, I have an offer from a dermatology professor with a PhD and no MD that is basic science research related. This professor is in the actual dermatology apartment of the med school while the fellow is not. I had thought that it would be a bit easier to publish in clinical research than basic science research, but the connections of the professor would be vast, so I'm ultimately a little unsure about which offer to pursue. I'll probably do a lot more background research on both projects to see which one I'm ultimately more interested in. This also gave me some food for thought on other questions:

1. I am curious about how closely related the topic has to be to my future preferred specialty, whatever I finally decide on (just exploring derm for now). For example, would dermatology residencies count this melanoma clinical research project as dermatology based even if it's more about metastasis in other organs and just barely skin-related?

2. I have heard that it's easier to publish in clinical science than basic science, which makes me wonder whether I'd be able to publish in basic science. This is the main reason I'm a little unsure about pursuing the project under the professor, so I was wondering what other people's viewpoints on clinical vs basic science for dermatology was.

Thank you very much!

1) Sometimes who you do the project with is more important than what the project is about. In this case, I think working with someone inside the department is likely to be more fruitful.

2) In general it is easier to publish clinical research over basic science research. That being said, that is why basic science research is weighted more heavily because we know it likely required more participation on the part of the applicant. In the end, the best option is to hedge your bets and do both (and do both well). Do some clinical research that can be published more easily. And if time allows, pursue a basic science project as well. I had the chance to participate in a basic science project that extended from the summer of my MS1 year well into MS4. That project generated a lot of conversation on the interview trail and was the feather in my cap when I was eventually able to get a publication out of it.

Reactions: 2 users
I would go with neither mentor and find someone else. You want a board certified dermatologist with a MD/DO as a mentor. If that isn't available to your currently, I would go with the clinical project. I generally discourage medical students from spending time on basic science projects - you are not equipped in medical school to complete a basic science project with any real degree of depth and the likelihood that you would get a publication from this may be small. You also have to ask yourself in training - what skills am I hoping to build from this experience? Unless you're planning to apply for NIH grants and run a basic science lab, it is likely that your efforts could be better spent elsewhere. Basic science faculty (PhDs) are usually not as strongly connected to the training programs even if they are in a department. At my own institution, I would personally discourage medical students from working with our own internal basic science faculty, unless it was a translational project conducted in conjunction with a MD-faculty, or if they were a MD/PhD candidate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I do have an actual dermatology advisor who is one of the head honchos of the residency program. My advisor, who doesn't do research, only said to do a project that I am actually interested in, in any relation to derm.
I think I'll do the clinical project from the fellow as a light project throughout the school year spending a few hours per week. Meanwhile I'll continue to look for another project for the summer so I'll research more about the basic science project to see what steps they're on because it seems like their lab actually produces quite a few pubs per year. In addition, I do have another board certified dermatologist who would like to talk more about clinical research projects but she wants to meet next year. I only worry that the basic science professor will get tired of waiting for my answer before I can meet with the MD dermatologist. I hope this sounds like a decent plan? >.<

Reactions: 1 users