How common is failing the first year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would guess maybe around 5% of the original class will end up repeating a year throughout the 4 years. Though may even be less than that
I had to repeat first year so as you can imagine I paid closer attention to this than most. 5% is about right as best as I can remember. Maybe up a little but definitely under 10%.
 
Might not be trolling. Some people are super neurotic
OP has said they failed their first year at a kow tier medical school. It doesn't rule out other possibilities.
 
It would be uncommon, outside of for-profit model schools (i.e., Carribean schools). But It's difficult-to-impossible to find this kind of data publicly.
 
It was about 1-2% at my school failed a single course in first year, maybe 1-2 students failed the year. Only one person in my class failed a clinical rotation as far as I know (<1%). Fifteen percent seems like a (shocking) outlier.