how competitive are top MSW programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ikibah

MSW student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to a pretty top-notch MSW program with an undergrad degree that is completely irrelevant to social work. To try to counter this I have taken 6 psychology/behavioral science courses and one stats course. My irrelevant undergrad is a 4.0 and the 7 psych classes are all A's, however the statistics course is a C. I have pretty solid volunteer experience. Will this C kill me?

Members don't see this ad.

It won't kill you. Write a strong statement of purpose, have good letters of rec and you will have a strong application. They likely won't even notice the C, and will look more at your total GPA. But you should probably apply to more than one program.

Your GPA will be better than most admitted applicants. I got into MA programs and multiple PhD programs with much worse outlier grades than a single C.

Members don't see this ad :)
It won't kill you. Write a strong statement of purpose, have good letters of rec and you will have a strong application. They likely won't even notice the C, and will look more at your total GPA. But you should probably apply to more than one program.

This. I had one C and no one said anything about it. Albeit, it was in Physics.:D

I agree with the other posters that one C will not make or break your application. Just make sure you have a strong SOP that answers the question: why social work?

Good luck with the application process!

Thanks. Thankfully, I got in and have been at the program for a year now.

Reactions: 2 users