How competitive have Integrated CT surgery become?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsPrCtsurg

Reaction score
Hey I’m currently an US MS planning on going all in For I6 CT and wanted to know how competitive am I for the programs. I have a 246 on my Step 1 still don’t have Step 2 scores but I little research which is the thing Im most worried about. Also have heard that a lot of spaces are saved from students that are from the same medical schools that have the I6. Can someone please give me some insight? There is little to no info on this on the web. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Looking at the match statistics from this year, there were 37 positions in thoracic surgery and 80 US MD applicants. Just by those numbers alone, you can go "all in", but unless you are an absolute superstar on paper, I'd recommend that you put at least some of your efforts into a contingency plan. 5 years of general surgery + 2 years of CT fellowship only loses you one year, although by no means is CT surgery fellowship a match that you can just waltz into anymore either as evidenced by the last 4 or 5 years of the thoracic surgery match.

Last edited: