How competitive is EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twospadz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has EM become above average in terms of competitiveness? Or is it still middle in the road?

Members don't see this ad.

Has EM become above average in terms of competitiveness? Or is it still middle in the road?
You mean for US MD (allopathic), yeah? Not DO, US-IMG, IMG, FMG, etc.?

Best place to start is probably NRMP. You can compare EM against other specialties based on various factors.

You mean for US MD (allopathic), yeah? Not DO, US-IMG, IMG, FMG, etc.?

Best place to start is probably NRMP. You can compare EM against other specialties based on various factors.
I mean MD. And I know about NRMP. I just wanna get some subjective opinions about the EM field.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean MD. And I know about NRMP. I just wanna get some subjective opinions about the EM field.

You know about Charting Outcomes in the Match, the best source for objective data, but want subjective opinions?

It's pretty average. Maybe intangibles come into play a little more in EM, but a middle of the road applicant should match without much difficulty.

Reactions: 2 users

This is kind of an unusual request in that the objective data available should give you a good idea of how competitive any given specialty truly is.

The subjective opinions you want will range from "nah... It's not competitive; maybe a little more than previous years" to "omg so competitive right now". Why bother with them?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This is kind of an unusual request in that the objective data available should give you a good idea of competitive any given specialty truly is.

The subjective opinions you want will range from "nah... It's not competitive; maybe a little more than previous years" to "omg so competitive right now". Why bother with them?
Sometimes data or statistics doesn't tell the whole picture.

Wait, in your question, the 2 options are "average" OR "middle of the road?" What would you say the difference is between those 2 descriptors?

Reactions: 1 user
"I know there's data out there, but I'd really love to have opinions instead."
picgifs-wut-confused-9590169.gif

"I know there's data out there, but I'd really love to have opinions instead."
picgifs-wut-confused-9590169.gif
Nvm I'll stop while Im ahead. Its not my intentions to go down that road. Thanks everyone for helpful comments.

In my "opinion" EM is competitive at hard places to match and easy at not-competitive places to match. Hope this clears things up!

EM was turbo-competitive for me as an IMG in 2009. I rolled the dice hard to make it happen. I rolled a seven. 2015 is a totally different dice game; but its still a dice game for those not coming from an US school.

*Insert diatribe about admissions processes, standardized exams, GPAs, and MD school whatevvvvvers.*

Stats wise it seems like EM is like ortho a few years back. In reality intangibles are very important, the average or slightly below average applicant who is personable and loves the field is going to match but the guy with a 265 step 1 who is socially awkward may not. At least that is what I have seen so far on the interview/rotation trail.

If I wasn't on my phone if insert the gif from I Robot where the professor's hologram tells Will Smith that he has to 'Ask the right question.'

If more people are applying for EM, then yes, it is becoming more competitive. I'm sure most non-primary care specialties are seeing an increase in applicants, so they are becoming more competitive each year. The numbers are available each year as previously stated. For EM, it's getting more competitive every year overall.

It's like you individually banking on living longer based on the average life expectancy of the population. Meanwhile, ignoring your health history, bad habits, and risk taking.

The better question is how you personally compare to the trend in markers for matriculation. If your step scores are 240's with high passes as a U.S. MD, then it's likely not more competitive. If you are an IMG with a 210 and only passes, then yes it will be more competitive. It all depends on you compared the numbers, which are for the time being, increasing.

Like I typically say every year about this time, it's my entirely subjective assessment that EM is not getting all that more competitive as a whole, maybe a little, but people's perceptions have started an arms race and make the whole process a pain in the ass for everyone. Even the stellar candidates are getting insecure and applying more places, taking up more interview spots, and somewhat limiting things for the lower tier applicants intially. People ultimately match though because programs are having to go further down their lists to fill all their spots, because the same 40 people are at the top of every program's list because they're good and overapplied. Same as every year, most people will match somewhere.