How competitive is FQHC/CHC/IHS etc.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redhotchiligochu

D3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking through old SDN posts and couldn’t find definitive info on this, but how competitive is it to be hired at a Community Health Center, IHS, etc?

I assume securing employment (let alone getting an interview) at a FQHC/CHC/IHS is fairly competitive but I’m not sure how much, like 1 in 5 chance? 1 in 20? 1 in 50? Don’t bother unless you’re a rural Caucasian or Native American? lol. Nonetheless, I still plan on sending out dozens and dozens of resumes beginning my D4 year, but it’ll be great to have a ballpark idea of what to expect regarding followups/interviews/job offers.

Any constructive, well-informed input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: bolded for emphasis

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not competitive because there is no money in it.

Reactions: 1 users
Looking through old SDN posts and couldn’t find definitive info on this, but how competitive is it to be hired at a Community Health Center, IHS, etc?

I assume securing employment (let alone getting an interview) at a FQHC/CHC/IHS is fairly competitive but I’m not sure how much, like 1 in 5 chance? 1 in 20? 1 in 50? Don’t bother unless you’re a rural Caucasian or Native American? lol. Nonetheless, I still plan on sending out dozens and dozens of resumes beginning my D4 year, but it’ll be great to have a ballpark idea of what to expect regarding followups/interviews/job offers.

Any constructive, well-informed input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: bolded for emphasis
Depends on the area. My FQHC is currently looking (and has been looking for a while) for two dentists and hasn’t had any luck filling the positions (rural CO). On the other hand, there is an FQHC up in Denver who seems to fill openings very fast. That one is way more competitive due to it being in Denver (and is also an “all-star” FQHC).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends. I heard prison dentistry is competitive though, at least in CA.

depends on location, but FQHCs differ quite a bit on policy, culture, administration, etc, plus the differences in each state's medicaid coverage.

I think I landed a primo position at mine, where I basically get paid 29% of production and get full benefits.

BTW, we are looking to replace a dentist who just resigned (didn't make the transition from a GPR/academia environment to the FQHC very well at all).

Thanks for the insight guys!

Still somewhat disappointed that not many people could answer on this topic. It’s almost as if those in the know regarding PSLF and FQHC are playing their cards close to their chest and unwilling to share some deeper insight for whatever reason.

Still welcome for more ideas/suggestions!

Thanks for the insight guys!

Still somewhat disappointed that not many people could answer on this topic. It’s almost as if those in the know regarding PSLF and FQHC are playing their cards close to their chest and unwilling to share some deeper insight for whatever reason.

Still welcome for more ideas/suggestions!
I really don’t think that is the case. I just think there isn’t much to say on the topic. I also don’t think it is reasonable to speculate on the competitiveness since a lot of these organizations aren’t exactly the smoothest running places to begin with so it is hard to even guess. The type of people who work at FQHCs aren’t usually the cutthroat type either. It is almost a crapshoot. If you reach out to dozens of places, you may hear back from one or two. If you apply to those same places, you may be surprised at how many interviews/job offers you get.

depends on location, but FQHCs differ quite a bit on policy, culture, administration, etc, plus the differences in each state's medicaid coverage.

I think I landed a primo position at mine, where I basically get paid 29% of production and get full benefits.

BTW, we are looking to replace a dentist who just resigned (didn't make the transition from a GPR/academia environment to the FQHC very well at all).
What typically is production at FQHC that you work at?

What typically is production at FQHC that you work at?
It really depends on how hard you want to push yourself. I averaged about 760k a year in production using a comfortable-to-lazy schedule but last year I surpassed 1 million after changing my schedule to be more productive. Hoping to do more this year.

Reactions: 2 users
It really depends on how hard you want to push yourself. I averaged about 760k a year in production using a comfortable-to-lazy schedule but last year I surpassed 1 million after changing my schedule to be more productive. Hoping to do more this year.

That must be a far different production model than the FQHC that is literally 100 yards from my office uses for it's dental department!

The one that's across the street from my office, since that FQHC get's its reimbursement based on a medical model of a flat reimbursement fee "per visit" not "per procedure" as is the common dental reimbursement model, is terribly inefficient at delivering dental care, as it's reimbursement model has no incentive to be more efficient, since whether they do 1 procedure or 5 procedures during that dental visit, they get reimbursed by the federal government the same amount, which is the same amount that their medical and/or behavioral health providers get reimbursed per visit.

For example, when they have a new patient, their appointment protocol is as follows: visit 1 radiographs visit 2 examination by the dentist visit 3 consultation with the dentist the treatment plan visit 4 prophylaxis or start of scaling if needed. Whereas all 4 of those visits are often done in 1 or 2 visits for most private practice offices out there. Crown visits at the FQHC across the street from my office are as folows: visit 1 - any build up work if needed visit 2 the crown prep itself visit 3 crown impression visit 4 deliver the crown whereas that's typically a 2 visit event in private practice. The providers are also strongly discouraged from doing more than 2 restorations in 1 visit, even if there's 3 or more to do in a quadrant. It is a terribly inefficient model that in the case of the FQHC across from my office, is necessitated by their reimbursement model, and the fact that the majority of their patients are on medicaid as opposed to sliding scale fees

That must be a far different production model than the FQHC that is literally 100 yards from my office uses for it's dental department!

The one that's across the street from my office, since that FQHC get's its reimbursement based on a medical model of a flat reimbursement fee "per visit" not "per procedure" as is the common dental reimbursement model, is terribly inefficient at delivering dental care, as it's reimbursement model has no incentive to be more efficient, since whether they do 1 procedure or 5 procedures during that dental visit, they get reimbursed by the federal government the same amount, which is the same amount that their medical and/or behavioral health providers get reimbursed per visit.

For example, when they have a new patient, their appointment protocol is as follows: visit 1 radiographs visit 2 examination by the dentist visit 3 consultation with the dentist the treatment plan visit 4 prophylaxis or start of scaling if needed. Whereas all 4 of those visits are often done in 1 or 2 visits for most private practice offices out there. Crown visits at the FQHC across the street from my office are as folows: visit 1 - any build up work if needed visit 2 the crown prep itself visit 3 crown impression visit 4 deliver the crown whereas that's typically a 2 visit event in private practice. The providers are also strongly discouraged from doing more than 2 restorations in 1 visit, even if there's 3 or more to do in a quadrant. It is a terribly inefficient model that in the case of the FQHC across from my office, is necessitated by their reimbursement model, and the fact that the majority of their patients are on medicaid as opposed to sliding scale fees
That is how most FQHCs get reimbursed. Not all of them stretch out treatment that ridiculously though. I will divide some of my procedures into multiple appointments (molar RCT, sometimes posterior crowns if a core buildup is needed), but that’s only because I’m not in charge of my own schedule and I have to work in the time they have allotted me. If anything goes slightly off track, we stabilize and finish later. It isn’t something I like to do, but there’s sometimes no way around it.

That is how most FQHCs get reimbursed. Not all of them stretch out treatment that ridiculously though. I will divide some of my procedures into multiple appointments (molar RCT, sometimes posterior crowns if a core buildup is needed), but that’s only because I’m not in charge of my own schedule and I have to work in the time they have allotted me. If anything goes slightly off track, we stabilize and finish later. It isn’t something I like to do, but there’s sometimes no way around it.
Interesting. I had never heard of this kind of reimbursement model. I don't know how ours does, but the administration (thankfully) chooses to pay us by the production.

Interesting. I had never heard of this kind of reimbursement model. I don't know how ours does, but the administration (thankfully) chooses to pay us by the production.
I am not all-knowing on this topic, but I wonder if you are at an FQHC look-alike or some other kind of clinic. It also could vary by state? I have just never heard of a true FQHC (in my state that is) paying by production... most are already functioning barely above the red and paying a provider by any percent close to that of production would devastate them financially.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not all-knowing on this topic, but I wonder if you are at an FQHC look-alike or some other kind of clinic. It also could vary by state? I have just never heard of a true FQHC (in my state that is) paying by production... most are already functioning barely above the red and paying a provider by any percent close to that of production would devastate them financially.
We are definitely not a look-a-like. Maybe we get more grants? We have at least 5 medical offices as well.

We are definitely not a look-a-like. Maybe we get more grants? We have at least 5 medical offices as well.
How interesting. Yeah, we have at least as many medical offices and dental offices all throughout southern Colorado. I guess we’ll never know. Sounds like a great setup for you though. I prefer the salary, personally.

Wow, some great insight guys! This is the kind of stuff I like hearing about. I may sound dumb but I didn’t know production actually plays a role in some FQHC’s, thought not all of them obviously (I assumed they were all base-salaried+benefits). Gives me some thoughts on how to be flexible in the workplace. Also motivates me to come up with good follow up interview questions later down the line. As long as I graduate from dental school and get licensed first!

How interesting. Yeah, we have at least as many medical offices and dental offices all throughout southern Colorado. I guess we’ll never know. Sounds like a great setup for you though. I prefer the salary, personally.
I do have a base "salary" that serves as my paycheck and then I get the production bonuses every 6 months. If, however, my production were to be less than my base salary, they would then lower my paychecks. Thankfully that hasn't happened.

Forgive my ignorance, but why choose these types of employment? Loan forgiveness? Less boredom or more exciting? Just curious.
I took this job as a brand new grad with no experience because it offered a guaranteed salary of 150k for the first year and full benefits. They also offered to pay for my moving expenses and other stuff like that. The kinds of patients that we often see here are in dire need of our help and I want to be that guy. Loan repayment is an added benefit but it's not enough to be a major factor (at least in my case). It hasn't been perfect but neither have I, and I get to concentrate on doing dentistry and don't have the headaches of running my own practice. Not to say that I would never have my own practice, just that I acknowledge the lack of administrative headaches.

When I was in dental school, I found over time that I really enjoyed taking care of the patients who came into the Urgent Care clinic, especially those that needed an extraction. This office is very much an extension of that.

Reactions: 5 users
Nice, i'm not sure if I'm calculating it correctly but were you averaging around 800 daily and then bumped up your daily take home to 1000/day?

I really hope you look towards ownership. If you truly are producing 1 mil a year, you are leaving an exorbitant amount income on the table. Any business owner would palm their hand seeing that kind of production and associating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope you look towards ownership. If you truly are producing 1 mil a year, you are leaving an exorbitant amount income on the table. Any business owner would palm their hand seeing that kind of production and associating.

I agree that ownership is the goal, but just because he is successful (high production) in one environment doesn't necessarily mean this will directly translate into private practice. Location, people skills and business marketing are everything. During the so called GOOD TIMES I know plenty of GPs who did ok in private practice, but nothing spectacular. For every one outlier .... there were probably dozens and dozens of GPs who did ....... ok.

When you work in something OTHER than private practice .... there can be this illusion that there are tons and tons of new patients walking through your front door. It looks easy. In the private practice world .... you will need skills to compete for those patients.

I have actually attempted to buy a practice but was unable to get financing, so there's that.

I’ve been working at an Fqhc for almost a year. When I applied they informed me they had about 5 other applicants at the same time. I however stood out because I’m bilingual which helps when 90% of the population we see is Spanish speaking.
To speak a bit more of my experience, I’m salaried and since my company is non profit, any excess goes back to employees as a bonus according to people who’ve been with the company for years. I haven’t been there long enough to see this. We’re paid based on encounters as well and it’s really up to the provider to decide how to treatment plan. I tend to try and get as much done for the patient as possible given how often they may no show. Loan repayment is my biggest motivator and I plan to stay about 5 years and reassess whether I want to take a different route or not.

Wow, thanks for this golden nugget!

Not sure what constitutes a “typical” FQHC but having 5 applicants per job opening doesn’t seem too competitive at all—in my previous field before dentistry, I’d be competing against 20-30 applicants per job offer, but I’d surprisingly make the cut somehow.

Are you part of NHSC, or did you have any previous volunteer/internship/externship or other extenuating factors (other than being bilingual) that made you stand out?

Lastly, any words of advice? I’m currently involved in 3 dental/clinic related outreach programs, with one of them having a leadership position. Additionally, I have prior employment experience as an RDA, private school teacher, and nonprofit management—not sure if my previous employment experience will let me “stand out.” Thanks!

I’ve been working at an Fqhc for almost a year. When I applied they informed me they had about 5 other applicants at the same time. I however stood out because I’m bilingual which helps when 90% of the population we see is Spanish speaking.
To speak a bit more of my experience, I’m salaried and since my company is non profit, any excess goes back to employees as a bonus according to people who’ve been with the company for years. I haven’t been there long enough to see this. We’re paid based on encounters as well and it’s really up to the provider to decide how to treatment plan. I tend to try and get as much done for the patient as possible given how often they may no show. Loan repayment is my biggest motivator and I plan to stay about 5 years and reassess whether I want to take a different route or not.

FQHC is basically for dentists that have no confidence in their skills.

If you think you suck and can't make more than a private practice or corporate dentist, then do FQHC.
If you are cream of the crop, then do corporate.

I chose corporate.
I made 350k in my first full year out.

This is not to say everyone will make 350k their first full year out. But if you focus on the right things in dentistry, then yes you can make as much or even more than what I did.

• Haha
  • Sad

If you think you suck and can't make more than a private practice or corporate dentist, then do FQHC.

I chose corporate.

This is not to say everyone will make 350k their first full year out. But if you focus on the right things in dentistry, then yes you can make as much or even more than what I did.
And corporate is for unethical sellouts who only care about money.
LOL! Definitely listen to this guy... :rolleyes:
Pleeeeeease. My eyes can’t roll hard enough.

Reactions: 6 users
Wow yeah, that was a shot across the bow there lowkey, and not totally sure that wasn't just trolling. I love working at my FQHC, and I'm pretty darn confident with my skills.

I enjoy working with this patient population, and I find it is both very rewarding and low stress. I make a very comfortable salary with bonuses, full benefits, and loan repayment as well. I treatment plan my patients as I think appropriate, and do what I think is fair during each encounter. I try to do as much as possible for each patient, usually 2-3 fills per quad as needed. If there are 4 Class II's, I'll probably do that in two visits.

Getting a job in an FQHC isn't so much about competition as it is applying at the right time - many times these job posting will still be up, but they've already interviewed 2-3 people and are just waiting to hear back on job offers. I'd also recommend that if there is an FQHC you're interested in working at, talk to their recruiting department even if they don't have any job openings posted, many times they already know of positions coming down the pipe.

Last piece of advice - every FQHC is not created equal, I've seen great ones, and I've seen the mills. Its very important to spend time seeing the clinic and talking to actual dentists there before you take a job. They want me to see 15 patients a day, I've seen clinics that want you to see 20-25.

Wow, thanks for this golden nugget!

Not sure what constitutes a “typical” FQHC but having 5 applicants per job opening doesn’t seem too competitive at all—in my previous field before dentistry, I’d be competing against 20-30 applicants per job offer, but I’d surprisingly make the cut somehow.

Are you part of NHSC, or did you have any previous volunteer/internship/externship or other extenuating factors (other than being bilingual) that made you stand out?

Lastly, any words of advice? I’m currently involved in 3 dental/clinic related outreach programs, with one of them having a leadership position. Additionally, I have prior employment experience as an RDA, private school teacher, and nonprofit management—not sure if my previous employment experience will let me “stand out.” Thanks!
I’m not in NHSC. I got my first experience in an Fqhc through school outreach. I was always much more interested in bread and butter dentistry and especially giving back to underserved populations since I come from a disadvantaged background. During my outreach I saw how it was more laid back in terms of not having to worry about treatment planning thousands of dollars worth of treatment. Poorer people can’t typically afford full mouth rehab and implants, as fun as they are to do. On a regular day I’m doing exams, simple extractions, fillings. It’s up to the discretion of the provider if we want to do something more involved like surgical ext and emergency endo. Most people I’ve heard who worked here left because they wanted to do a broader span of procedures such as implants, veneers, all the fun cosmetic stuff, which I may also do in the future. I lucked out finding the job I have now and it was by word of mouth of alumni that I even found out about it.
Fqhcs do a great service for underserved populations. The benefits are great and I love the work life balance. the loan repayment offered through the state is also pretty nice. Not gonna lie it can be fast paced but they give lots of time off. I’m not in HR or anything so take this advice with a grain of salt, I’d just research the fqhcs in the areas you’re interested in and express how you’d like to help those people, understanding they have lower oral health literacy and how you can contribute to improving their quality of life.

Reactions: 3 users
I think the biggest thing to keep in mind when looking at FQHC/IHS is that each one is different. In my final year of dental school, I had offers at 13 different public health clinics. Each clinic was drastically different from the next. Salaries ranged from $120k - $210k, all eligible for some sort of loan repayment be it NHSC, IHS, PSLF, etc. Some were lucky to do a crown a month, others had dentists who were doing multiple crowns, RCTs, etc in a week. This biggest thing is knowing what you're looking for and keep looking until you find it. As far as competitiveness it does vary significantly. If you're looking for an FQHC in a large city, there may be more applicants, but if you're okay with rural and particularly okay with moving somewhere than the opportunities are endless.

I settled on an FQHC in a town of about 2,000. Starting salary was $210k with a switch to production based salary after year 1. I see 12-15 patients/day and average $3500-4000 production/day with a wide mix of procedures. I control my own schedule (no frost desk/manager telling me how many patients I need to see in a day or putting patients in w/o my permission. But this wouldn't have been the case at most places I interviewed. So just make sure you really know what you want and keep looking til you find it.

Wow, I’m curious to hear how you’ve landed 13 offers! Did you end up applying to 20+ sites or was it mostly word-of-mouth/networking?

I’ve been looking at online job postings and most of the offers seem to be in the $110k-$170k... wondering if the upper end e.g. $200k+ requires being “in the know” with recruiters or special connections from your local dental association chapter.

And thanks again to those who’ve positively contributed to this thread thus far! :D

I think the biggest thing to keep in mind when looking at FQHC/IHS is that each one is different. In my final year of dental school, I had offers at 13 different public health clinics. Each clinic was drastically different from the next. Salaries ranged from $120k - $210k, all eligible for some sort of loan repayment be it NHSC, IHS, PSLF, etc. Some were lucky to do a crown a month, others had dentists who were doing multiple crowns, RCTs, etc in a week. This biggest thing is knowing what you're looking for and keep looking until you find it. As far as competitiveness it does vary significantly. If you're looking for an FQHC in a large city, there may be more applicants, but if you're okay with rural and particularly okay with moving somewhere than the opportunities are endless.

I settled on an FQHC in a town of about 2,000. Starting salary was $210k with a switch to production based salary after year 1. I see 12-15 patients/day and average $3500-4000 production/day with a wide mix of procedures. I control my own schedule (no frost desk/manager telling me how many patients I need to see in a day or putting patients in w/o my permission. But this wouldn't have been the case at most places I interviewed. So just make sure you really know what you want and keep looking til you find it.

Wow, I’m curious to hear how you’ve landed 13 offers! Did you end up applying to 20+ sites or was it mostly word-of-mouth/networking?

I’ve been looking at online job postings and most of the offers seem to be in the $110k-$170k... wondering if the upper end e.g. $200k+ requires being “in the know” with recruiters or special connections from your local dental association chapter.

And thanks again to those who’ve positively contributed to this thread thus far! :D

I first sent an email to the recruiters for the Indian Health Service and provided just a blanket statement that I was interested in working for IHS and provided my resume. That recruited then passed along my resume to an unknown amount of people. From that single email, I received 15 emails for phone interviews, I replied to 10 of them (others I politely declined due to lack of desire to work in specific locations) and received offers for formal interviews at all 10. Chose which ones to interview at from there based on how I thought the phone interviews went.

I also used 3Rnet.org. Tons of public health job postings there and you can sort by location/HPSA score, NHSC eligible, etc.

I was also fortunate to go to a dental school that required us to do four 4-6 week rotations during our D4 and I received job offers from each of those that I rotated through.

I think what really helped me is that I was okay with moving just about anywhere. My only restriction was I wanted to work somewhere that had snow. But other than that, I was fielding offers from Washington state to New Hampshire and everywhere in between.

I first sent an email to the recruiters for the Indian Health Service and provided just a blanket statement that I was interested in working for IHS and provided my resume. That recruited then passed along my resume to an unknown amount of people. From that single email, I received 15 emails for phone interviews, I replied to 10 of them (others I politely declined due to lack of desire to work in specific locations) and received offers for formal interviews at all 10. Chose which ones to interview at from there based on how I thought the phone interviews went.

I also used 3Rnet.org. Tons of public health job postings there and you can sort by location/HPSA score, NHSC eligible, etc.

I was also fortunate to go to a dental school that required us to do four 4-6 week rotations during our D4 and I received job offers from each of those that I rotated through.

I think what really helped me is that I was okay with moving just about anywhere. My only restriction was I wanted to work somewhere that had snow. But other than that, I was fielding offers from Washington state to New Hampshire and everywhere in between.

Thank you for your reply. Is there any thing on your resume that makes you stand out (e.g. leadership, class rank...)? Or is the interview the single most important factor in getting an offer?

I chose corporate.

The amount of ignorance in this post is staggering. I've worked corporate as well, and I know what it takes to get even close to 350k. In your first full year out (i assume no residency) I would say there's a good chance that there was a lot of subpar dentistry done in an effort to get your production that high.

The difference between the FQHC and the corporate job was not about how I treated the patients. It was about what the practice leaders focused on. When you're focused on "making budget" for the month, patients become dollar signs. When you're federally funded, you tend to see the patients as people.

How are the hours at your location, 40h/week or does it tend to vary?

How are the hours at your location, 40h/week or does it tend to vary?

I work 40 hours/wk but I'm usually out 15-30 minutes early depending on the schedule/procedure. I also get 20 days paid vacation + 10 CE per year

Thank you for your reply. Is there any thing on your resume that makes you stand out (e.g. leadership, class rank...)? Or is the interview the single most important factor in getting an offer?

I did have a lot of leadership and experiences related to public health. Never got asked about my class rank or GPA. Interview is the most important part though

Im about to interview at a FQHC on Thursday...per encounter model. They seem to be throwing money to get a decent provider at one of their rural locations. After 9 years in private practice both owned and corporate, Im curious as to how it measures up. One thing is for sure, NO ONE in private practice will hand you over 40,000 as a sign on bonus, on top of a 210K guaranteed salary, PAID TIME OFF+ benefits medical, 401k match and loan repayment....I mean, that **** doesn't exist in private practice. I talked to one of their dentists and he is pulling 300K a year. They, ofcourse, want experienced operators 5+ years.

Depends on your flexibility to move and how young you are. Theres plenty of FQHCs out there, I have not found it competitive at all.

Im about to interview at a FQHC on Thursday...per encounter model. They seem to be throwing money to get a decent provider at one of their rural locations. After 9 years in private practice both owned and corporate, Im curious as to how it measures up. One thing is for sure, NO ONE in private practice will hand you over 40,000 as a sign on bonus, on top of a 210K guaranteed salary, PAID TIME OFF+ benefits medical, 401k match and loan repayment....I mean, that **** doesn't exist in private practice. I talked to one of their dentists and he is pulling 300K a year. They, ofcourse, want experienced operators 5+ years.

Depends on your flexibility to move and how young you are. Theres plenty of FQHCs out there, I have not found it competitive at all.
what state is it in?

FYI, I just put in my notice at my job because I’m moving to private practice on an ownership track. PM if you have questions

Reactions: 4 users