How competitive is it to get a funded Ortho research year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frogger27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive is it to get one of the funded ortho research years (i.e Rush, Rothman, HSS, BenFox CHOP, etc)??

I am trying to decide between ortho and 1-2 other fields but unfortunately do not have my surgery rotation until January. I am sure if I decide ortho I will have to do a research year as I have no ortho specific research yet (which I am perfectly okay with).

Members don't see this ad.

How competitive is it to get one of the funded ortho research years (i.e Rush, Rothman, HSS, BenFox CHOP, etc)??

I am trying to decide between ortho and 1-2 other fields but unfortunately do not have my surgery rotation until January. I am sure if I decide ortho I will have to do a research year as I have no ortho specific research yet (which I am perfectly okay with).
BUMP want to know answer

Depends on a couple factors from my experience. Programs will preferentially take their own students then US MD students, then DOs/IMGs. I think with the shear number of positions at Rush and Rothman, it’s not terribly difficult.
Also, institutions ironically prefer you to have research already. Although understandable to have a more efficient year, the primary purpose of a research year is to get pubs because you don’t currently have them (in addition to making connections and learning ortho.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with MVreddevil17. Rush, Jeff, HSS all have plenty of paid positions although not that substantial especially being in higher cost-of-living cities. So not very competitive overall, even without prior ortho research (from anecdotal evidence). These may be the best option, and getting enough papers from these research years isn't a concern due to sheer volume.

Reactions: 2 users