How competitive is it to get into post bacc programs?

Started by michellec
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

michellec

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I'm applying to post bacc programs at: NYU, Columbia, SUNY Stonybrook, Hofstra, Manhattanville and City College.

I have a very low UG GPA (but from a prestigious school) but am serious about doing well in the PB programs and starting a career in healthcare.

1) My goal is to get into anyone of these programs - do I have a shot?
2) Of these programs, which are the "best pre-health" programs?
3) Recommendations on how to write the personal statement to highlight that low UG performance was not really a true reflection of my capacity...?

Thank you.
 
There are only a handful of really competitive post baccs: Goucher, Scripps, Bryn Mawr, one or two others...none of the ones on your list are particularly competitive.

Do lots of research on each one. Talk to people in those programs.

My advice: shoot for the lowest cost program where it is easiest to earn As. Don't assume that the "Columbia" name carries any added weight with med schools.

Some of those programs are notorious for high dropout/fail rates...like Columbia. So the caveat is: easy to get in, not easy to stay in and succeed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I say apply widely - I'm doing the Georgetown SMP right now (SMP is obviously not the same as a postbacc but same general idea). I got rejected from programs that were supposed to be easier to get into; you never know who is going to like your CV.