how competitive is oncology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chandi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it possible to match in oncology programs only without any research?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely, just make sure you apply to more community oriented programs, since research places tend to be more about research (not saying its impossible to go to a research place, just less likely assuming everything else is equal)

A resident from my program got matched at MSKCC without any research experience. She has done other amazing things though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research is such a loosely used term nowadays. Some people boast of all the "research" they have done when in fact they hung out in a lab for a few days here and there and maybe presented a poster. Research can encompass a formal degree program, a review article, original research, a poster presentation, case report etc. You don't need to be at Hopkins in a lab to produce. It's not hard to find a case among all you see during internship and residency. Clinical vignettes are also widely accepted as scholarly effort. Bottom line - programs will be able to pick up on whether you skated through residency doing nothing more than the bare minimum with hopes of landing a fellowship vs whether you busted your tail going above and beyond because that will predict how you act and perform as a fellow.

How much do heme/onc fellowships take into consideration significant heme/onc research prior to and during med school? This would include poster presentations and publications. I'm interested in matching at an academic program (UCSF etc.). Thanks.

Focus on your studies right now. I would worry more about the research issues when you get into residency. Fellowship directors are relaly not going to fish 6 or 7 years back in your resume for "research" which you may have done. Realistically how much research can a student do anyway aside from a month or two rotation?