How competitive is ophthalmology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vagapov

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted by user

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry that I can't answer any of your questions but I wanted to say congratulations on your interviews!! Ophthalmology is definitely the field I am most interested in!!

If you don't mind, can you please post your stats? This will let me know how much of a life I won't have as I strive to get where you are. Also, did you take both the COMLEX and the USMLE or just the COMLEX?

Thanks, and again good luck on your interviews!! :D

Dear vagapov,

I can tell you about Metropolitan Hospital (in Grand Rapids, Michigan). I'm from Grand Rapids and I worked at Metro for 2+ years. And...here at KCOM, my clinical mentor and her husband just finished internships and residencies at Metro last year! I wouldn't call myself an authority, so I won't tell all. I'll share two things (actually one thing from two sources). First, let me just say that West Michigan is an awesome place to live/work. The people are the best. Really. Now, unto the point I wanted to make.

Metro is "hard-core." That would be my summary if I was held to one sentence. My clinical mentor and her husband said this, and that is what I observed while working there. In fact, my mentor mentioned that, in keeping in contact with former classmates at different residency spots, she quickly realized that she was "working harder, but learning more." You're going to learn a heck of a lot if you go there. At the same time, it's such a supportive community! Even as a lowly nurse-aid, I was respected and used as a source of info by docs, nurses, etc. I really appreciated that.

I could go on and on, but I better stop there. One more thing...I definitely want to return to West Michigan to practice medicine. It's my home. I will definitely try to end up at Metro if I can. I love it there. Good luck!

Any more questions? Just ask. [email protected]

Ryan