How Competitive is Post-Bacc Program Admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Longcatislong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive is admission to post-baccalaureate programs?

I just graduated from UC Berkeley. My B.A. is in sociology and my overall GPA is a 3.33. I'm seeking the Post-Bac because I want to apply to dental school.

In particular, i'm looking to apply to Mills College, SFSU, UC Berkeley Extension, Scripps and CSU East Bay.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Scripps is probably out of reach unless you have perfect test scores.

Can anyone say anything regarding Mills or SFSU?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone say anything regarding Mills or SFSU?

I agree that Scripps is probably out of reach unless maybe you're pretty remarkable in some other area. I had a 3.67 and a not insignificant amount of clinical experience, and I didn't get into Scripps. From what I've heard (this is all secondhand, mind you), Mills is a great program, and about one step down in difficulty of acceptance from the "Big Three" (Scripps, Bryn Mawr, and Goucher). I've unfortunately heard mostly negative reviews of SFSU.

Just a thought: As a Californian, our state schools are good schools. If you don't get into the formal post-bacc programs you want, the option of simply taking your prerequisites at a state school is not an unreasonable one.

Curious -- what kind of negative reviews have you heard regarding SFSU? It seems like a very thorough, well-structured program.

I think I'm going to take Scripps out of the running. I live in the Bay Area so I would rather not have to move. Attending CSU East Bay, SFSU or Mills would be perfectly fine.

I would do Open University classes at a state university, if only it weren't so expensive. As a Post-Bacc student, I could at least qualify for federal financial aid.

bump.

I'm wondering if anyone on this board has anything to say regarding San Francisco State or Cal State East Bay. I have already applied to CSU East Bay (waiting to here back) and will apply to SF State when their app becomes available.

In your experience, or maybe in the experience of those you know/have heard of, how are these programs? Good? With my stats, should I be concerned about admission?

I heard good things about SFSU's program, but that was a few years ago before all the budget cuts, and I believe they've since cancelled their informal post-bac program--which was kind of like an open-university program where you pretty much had last dibs on classes. I'd be very cautious about open university programs if you're concerned about finishing the program on time, as the state schools are getting pretty crowded and you may not be able to get the classes you want.

I'd recommend talking to people who took the same route as you plan to take before you try it--see how they felt about it. Maybe SF State and East Bay have an alumni list so you could contact some people?

I went to Mills, so I'm a little biased towards it, but I think it's a great program, if you're committed to becoming a physician/dentist! It is expensive, and it'll be hard to pay that money off if you don't "make it," and that's really my only caution about the program. In every other aspect it was phenomenal--the professors were amazing, the students were great and all very committed (that really, really helped me out a lot), and the campus is beautiful. Jo is the program coordinator, and if you haven't talked to her already, make an appointment and she can tell you more about what Mills can offer you.

I can't speak for any other programs, but depending on your test scores, you'd probably be able to get into Mills. I had a 3.45 and was also a liberal arts major, so our circumstances aren't that different.

If you have any questions about Mills, feel free to ask me. PM would be best, because I really don't log onto SDN anymore (I was just bored... I really should be studying for exams!)