N/A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted915153

N/A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Substance abuse is a real problem. What may likely hurt you is that you didn’t learn/make amends after your first incident. There are others much more qualified that may be able to discuss potential implications, so I’ll defer to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
The fact that you got caught twice indicates that you made a habit out of drinking excessively and causing problems; it's different from a one-time thing. Also, both instances happened during your junior year, so the "I was trying to transition into college and things got out of hand" explanation wouldn't hold.

I think you'd need to take at least two or three gap years to dampen the effect of these mistakes, with lots of drug/alcohol rehabilitation volunteering. (Perhaps consider getting certified as a substance abuse counselor.)

In any given cycle, thousands of applicants will be just as academically qualified as you but have no red flags.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree about taking two or three gap years. It will put distance between you and your bad behavior. It will
also give you a chance to work on your ECs which are sorely lacking. All that shadowing you did abroad means pretty much nothing. Your experience should be in the US. What have you done clinically? How about non clinically? Have you served those less fortunate than yourself?

You are here for advice for your situation so don’t get defensive when people make suggestions. Just because you’ve “heard” of people getting in with much worse doesn’t make it true. And besides people with perfect or near perfect applications are rejected. This happens every cycle! Why should or would a school accept you when they have hundreds of well qualified applicants. You are certainly able to be successful but it will probably take some time. Use that time wisely and develop the best application possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you sober now?
This is what I was thinking too. Before you go off and work in an addiction center or become a counselor, have you actually stopped drinking

Edit: Glad to hear you have the most important thing taken care of first! I'm sure with some work you can redeem yourself. Even if it takes a couple years.