How crucial is a degree realistically?

Started by kew
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kew

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have 101 credits applying this summer for the class of 2005 and will probably not get a degree by the time I leave to dental school, how crucial is a degree realistically? I think that it depends on the schools you're applying to. What do you all think and if I'm right about the school thing, what schools should I be applying to and what has the admissions people said about it. I know I've heard some say they really don't care but what have you guys heard?
 
I think that if you have two people with similar GPA and one has a degree and the other doesn't. Dental schools will obviously pick the one with degree first because they are more mature and the one more year of academic experience behind them (along with more advance courses taken). Dental schools usually pick senior students UNLESS students applying w/o a degree has a extremely high GPA.

If you want more information on how many students that are accepted w/o a degree from each school you can just look at any Dental School Admission books and it will tell you.