How dense is the first year classes for yall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Go against the current

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want to have a comparison.

I'm in PCO finishing my first year

We had anatomy covering all the bones, holes blood, detailed pathways and functions of All 12 CN nerves in head and neck.

We have neuros covering most of the pathways in spine, brainstem, cerebellum, and cerebral, with emphasis on hearing, vestibular, and, of course, visual. And class on neuro assessments we can done on patients to check for various neurological diseases and syndromes.

We had clinical skill classes with 35mins practicals, and various clinical skills prepare us for clinic hours in next fall.

In the clinical skill we can now give a full comprehensive eye exam, some skills on slit lamp, goldmann, BIO, 3&4 mirrors, 90D dilated exam, and some extends of pediatric methods as well.

We had two pharmacology classes covering drugs on diabetes, GI tracts, opioids, and many other aspects(I can't recall them all

We had optic classes on all the optician things that we are able to do an optic clerkship in summer.

We had 2 optic anatomy classes on detailed anatomy of the eye, all structures of the eye and orbit, and how they work in micro levels.
We also learned all anterior segment diseases covered in boards, diagnosis and treatments of them.

Also pathology, biochem, vision science and perception, research methods, immunology, and various classes related to those.

11 classes in first semester, 10in spring and 8 in summer. With 50ish exams and quizzes each semester.

I'm hang in there right now. Not doing the best, but good enough to pass through the courses. I feel like half of an optometrist now but there's still a long way to go haha. I heard ppl talking about our class year is too heavily loaded, and they failed half of the students on previous class year. There are exaggerations and myths there for sure, and professional schools should be kinda heavy.

But I'm just curious, how are the other schools doing? Are you guys also learning neuros as detailed as 40ish nucleus and pathways of each cross sections of brainstem and how they work with each other, what nucleus and pathways are affected by Certain syndrome and how to assess each of those pathways, or all the specific anatomical structures that CN7 pass through, and what will happen if you have lesion on geniculate ganglion?

Or use on various optical examine machines, like OCT, VF, CT, ultrasound, etc. and how to interpret the results?

What was the curriculum of your school be like? Do you mind sharing?

Members don't see this ad.

i wonder if that's why your board scores have tanked. ICO doesn't do ophthalmic optics or pharm or ocular neuro til 2nd year. Clinically, we don't touch the slit lamp til 2nd year but we get a great foundation in refraction. that being said we had probably more exams than u. definitely in the 60s or 70s

i wonder if that's why your board scores have tanked. ICO doesn't do ophthalmic optics or pharm or ocular neuro til 2nd year. Clinically, we don't touch the slit lamp til 2nd year but we get a great foundation in refraction. that being said we had probably more exams than u. definitely in the 60s or 70s
Thank you for sharing, I wish we could get more time to learn about refractions T.T
I think they're trying to squeeze as much info as possible(refraction, optic things, slit lamps etc) so they can send us to clinic as early as second year.

Did you guys got many neuro courses in first year? That's what most of the classmates complaining about, that we're way overshooting on neuros.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for sharing, I wish we could get more time to learn about refractions T.T
I think they're trying to squeeze as much info as possible(refraction, optic things, slit lamps etc) so they can send us to clinic as early as second year.

Did you guys got many neuro courses in first year? That's what most of the classmates complaining about, that we're way overshooting on neuros.
we had general neuroanatomy. it was dense and in retrospect prob a lil overkill but all that info can help solidify more basic concepts or help you understand more advanced concepts in the future. It'll also make you a better-rounded healthcare provider

Reactions: 1 user
we had general neuroanatomy. it was dense and in retrospect prob a lil overkill but all that info can help solidify more basic concepts or help you understand more advanced concepts in the future. It'll also make you a better-rounded healthcare provider
Got cha~ It is true, that when you start to digging deeper everything is kinda related a little bit to neuro.

Just want to have a comparison.

I'm in PCO finishing my first year

We had anatomy covering all the bones, holes blood, detailed pathways and functions of All 12 CN nerves in head and neck.

We have neuros covering most of the pathways in spine, brainstem, cerebellum, and cerebral, with emphasis on hearing, vestibular, and, of course, visual. And class on neuro assessments we can done on patients to check for various neurological diseases and syndromes.

We had clinical skill classes with 35mins practicals, and various clinical skills prepare us for clinic hours in next fall.

In the clinical skill we can now give a full comprehensive eye exam, some skills on slit lamp, goldmann, BIO, 3&4 mirrors, 90D dilated exam, and some extends of pediatric methods as well.

We had two pharmacology classes covering drugs on diabetes, GI tracts, opioids, and many other aspects(I can't recall them all

We had optic classes on all the optician things that we are able to do an optic clerkship in summer.

We had 2 optic anatomy classes on detailed anatomy of the eye, all structures of the eye and orbit, and how they work in micro levels.
We also learned all anterior segment diseases covered in boards, diagnosis and treatments of them.

Also pathology, biochem, vision science and perception, research methods, immunology, and various classes related to those.

11 classes in first semester, 10in spring and 8 in summer. With 50ish exams and quizzes each semester.

I'm hang in there right now. Not doing the best, but good enough to pass through the courses. I feel like half of an optometrist now but there's still a long way to go haha. I heard ppl talking about our class year is too heavily loaded, and they failed half of the students on previous class year. There are exaggerations and myths there for sure, and professional schools should be kinda heavy.

But I'm just curious, how are the other schools doing? Are you guys also learning neuros as detailed as 40ish nucleus and pathways of each cross sections of brainstem and how they work with each other, what nucleus and pathways are affected by Certain syndrome and how to assess each of those pathways, or all the specific anatomical structures that CN7 pass through, and what will happen if you have lesion on geniculate ganglion?

Or use on various optical examine machines, like OCT, VF, CT, ultrasound, etc. and how to interpret the results?

What was the curriculum of your school be like? Do you mind sharing?

Yes I definitely get what you mean, Nova has a similar rigorous curriculum as well. I feel like over the past 20 -25 years, the Optometry curriculum has evolved and is more in line with the rigor of MD/DO/DPM/DVM/DDS/PA schools. It’s definitely not a cake walk or the older generation curriculum , but you did awesome! Keep pushing through.

Yes I definitely get what you mean, Nova has a similar rigorous curriculum as well. I feel like over the past 20 -25 years, the Optometry curriculum has evolved and is more in line with the rigor of MD/DO/DPM/DVM/DDS/PA schools. It’s definitely not a cake walk or the older generation curriculum , but you did awesome! Keep pushing through.
I'm on the track of loosing interest in optometry to be honest. I start to doubt (later I found out I'm not alone but with the majority of my class) if it's worth it. Hopefully it will be a bit more fun when we start clinic next semester.

I'm on the track of loosing interest in optometry to be honest. I start to doubt (later I found out I'm not alone but with the majority of my class) if it's worth it. Hopefully it will be a bit more fun when we start clinic next semester.
It should definitely be more fun once you start clinic and using your skills on actual patients. However, despite the curriculum changes, real life Optometry hasn’t changed that much. Depends of type of practice and scope etc. but in most cases is probably 90 percent refractive in nature and 10 percent disease related in which most things are referred out. Of course this varies a bit if working for a VA, OD/MD or something like that. I feel like all health professional schools go above and beyond with detailed coursework but it’s necessary for boards and displaying minimal competency.

There’s no perfect profession, pros and cons in each field. However, Optometry has a good work life balance, you get to help people with one of their most precious senses and a good salary. You’re doing well, I know the grind is challenging. Browse through some Optometry Times or Review of Optometry articles to help reignite the spark and why you chose to do it. 😊

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It should definitely be more fun once you start clinic and using your skills on actual patients. However, despite the curriculum changes, real life Optometry hasn’t changed that much. Depends of type of practice and scope etc. but in most cases is probably 90 percent refractive in nature and 10 percent disease related in which most things are referred out. Of course this varies a bit if working for a VA, OD/MD or something like that. I feel like all health professional schools go above and beyond with detailed coursework but it’s necessary for boards and displaying minimal competency.

There’s no perfect profession, pros and cons in each field. However, Optometry has a good work life balance, you get to help people with one of their most precious senses and a good salary. You’re doing well, I know the grind is challenging. Browse through some Optometry Times or Review of Optometry articles to help reignite the spark and why you chose to do it. 😊
Thank you!! This boosts me up~ I'm also reading Oliver Sacks just to give me some spark on neuro haha

Yes the first 2 years of Optometry school can be difficult. It should be difficult. You are setting the foundation for later when you can apply it to certain eye conditions and being able to talk about these conditions with patients.
You are losing interest in Optometry? You have barely even started in actual Optometry related things. Everyone gets a little burnt out in the fist couple of years but it swings back around once you get more into clinic and actually seeing patients.

10 classes at UHCO

Lots of work but fairly easy.

-Neuroanatomy
-Neuroanatomy Lab
-Anatomy
-Anatomy Lab
-Optics I
-Optics I Lab
-Optometry I
-Clinical Practicum I Lab
-Molecular Biology and Human Physiology