How Dentists Spend Their Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted462159

Hi there, I have a quick question regarding how much time the average dentist spends on practice management vs. clinical care?

Members don't see this ad.

Granted my business partner and I employ a fulltime office manager to handle a great deal of our practice management needs, but in my own practice I would put the ratio over the course of a year at about 5 hours of "practice management" work for every 30 hours of clinical care that I do. Basically for my standard 30 hours of clinical care that I'm booked a week, I do about another 1/2 day per week in practice management work. And some of those 5 hours a week aren't spent just going over numbers on my computer at my desk, but in business discussions with my business partner and often office manager at lunch.

I like the business aspect, so I dedicate a lot more time to it. I like the entrepreneurship of dentistry. It isn't anything major. I take Friday off from seeing patients to do administration work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, my schedule is bit similar to Dr. Jeff. Just a one change I use to devote 6 to 7 hours of "practice management" per 30 hours of clinical care.