How did I do so bad? What do I do? Where do I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre-doc_93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying to DO schools this year. Just got back my MCAT score: 496...125 Chem, 124 CARS, 123 Bio, 124Behav...

Idk how I did so bad...Idk how I can do somewhat decent in school and get a score this low. I plan on being part time this fall and retaking the MCAT. I definitely need to get a higher score. Am I completely screwed for this application cycle?

Stats:
3.47 cumulative/3.41 science
Freshman cGPA/sGPA: 2.88/2.85
Sophmore cGPA/sGPA: 3.48/3.42
Junior cGPA/sGPA: 3.94/3.86
Senior cGPA/sGPA: 4.0/4.0

-1 year of research on glaucoma with a presentation at the Association for Research and Vision and Ophthalmology.
-3 months of research at my local school of medicine neuroscience center
-30 hours shadowing a DO
-1000s of hours of employment.
-Tutoring at a local school
-Volunteering at hospital
-Taught a chemistry weekly recitation session on campus
-Really good recommendation letters

Members don't see this ad.

Applying to DO schools this year. Just got back my MCAT score: 496...125 Chem, 124 CARS, 123 Bio, 124Behav...

Idk how I did so bad...Idk how I can do somewhat decent in school and get a score this low. I plan on being part time this fall and retaking the MCAT. I definitely need to get a higher score. Am I completely screwed for this application cycle?

Stats:

-1 year of research on glaucoma with a presentation at the Association for Research and Vision and Ophthalmology.
-30 hours shadowing a DO

When are you planning to retake the MCAT. Date specifically.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't take it in 2016 and apply this cycle. Take it in 2016 and apply next cycle. That will be the best option for you

You can't take it in 2016 and apply this cycle. Take it in 2016 and apply next cycle. That will be the best option for you
I've already applied and submitted secondaries to LECOM, BCOM, KYCOM

I'm not a hundred percent sure about DO, but getting your MCAT scores in February doesn't make sense because schools will have already picked out most of their class. If you have applied to 3 schools, don't apply to any more. Plan to reapply next year because 40th percentile is less than the equivalent of a 25, so unfortunately your chances of getting in this year are low. Retake the MCAT next year when you are ready and destroy the next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Write off this cycle and work on improving your MCAT.

Did you prepare adequately?

Do you have test-taking anxiety?

These can be fixes (but poor choice making is a worry to us)

Are you ESL?

Stats:

-30 hours shadowing a DO

Stats:

-30 hours shadowing a DO

Take an intensive MCAT prep course like Kaplan or Princeton Review and apply next year. Don't bother this year.