Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

How did you all fill out secondaries?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by 10yearmedic, Dec 2, 2005.

1. 10yearmedic

10yearmedic Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ok, I am a do it at the last minute kind of guy, so don't berate me for that.

I am just getting around to filling out some of my secondaries, and they are online, but in Adobe Acrobat. Is there a way that I am unaware of to copy these forms to a word processing program and typing responses, or do I have to print them all out and fill out the applications by hand?

Thanks for any input.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. justskipee

justskipee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

find a copy of adobe professional, you can edit adobe files. Its pretty sweet. Its expensive though, you could always try emule for a hacked version.

4. justskipee

justskipee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

find a copy of adobe professional, you can edit adobe files. Its pretty sweet.

5. PurpleHaze

PurpleHaze Takin it day by day
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I understand where you're coming from with doing things at the last minute, I've still got 3 of my own to do! Good luck!

6. solitude

solitude Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Find a computer on campus or at work or even at a public library that has Adobe Professional, then save all application pdf's as a JPEG image. Save them to a flash drive and go back home. Open Word, eliminate all margins, paste in the image and expand it to fit the page. Now you can make textboxes on Word to fit in the spaces. If you can find a high-resolution printer, and you save the images with high quality, the printed version looks just like the original.

Masterful.

7. PRmed

PRmed 22
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Actually the traditional "Adobe Reader" can copy and paste so you do not need to purchase any other products. Here are the steps (don't worry, its very simple. You will wonder how you ever got along w/o it :) )

1. Open the .PDF file you need.
    2. In the toolbar, right next to the little white "glove" you will see a icon that says "SELECT" and it shows a picture of one of those word processing cursors. Click that!
    3. If it is text, Highlight it just as you would highlight anything else, Copy it, and paste it to Word.
    4. You can even do this with pictures on your PDF file too, not just text! It will just highlight what you select and then copy and paste it to word and it will look identical!

Good Luck! Just PM me if you have any trouble!

8. Flopotomist

Flopotomist I love the Chicago USPS
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am old and slow, and couldn't figure out how, so I just typed my answers, cut them out with scissors, pasted them onto a printed application, then xeroxed the whole thing. It looked fine, and saved me time trying to figure out the stupid software.

9. PRmed

PRmed 22
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

That too, but its really just a simple copy and paste if you click the "Select" button.

10. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

How did I fill them out?[​IMG]
    Pray for Mojo.

11. 10yearmedic

10yearmedic Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks to all for the quick responses. Hopefully I can make one of them work without having to pay for the professional version of Acrobat.

12. MissMary

MissMary Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I tried using this method, but after I highlight what I want to copy, it won't give me the option of copying. Do I need a different version of the Acrobat to do it?

13. 10yearmedic

10yearmedic Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't have have a select button next to my little white hand. I only have Acrobat Reader. Am I just an idiot and the program only does what is says- lets me read the files only? Or am I still missing something?

14. PRmed

PRmed 22
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

If you are able to highlight, then it should be able to copy. Highlight the section you need, then RIGHT CLICK, and you should see an option that says "Copy To Clipboard". Just click the "Copy to Clipboard."

If the right click does not work: Highlight, go to Edit, and click Copy.

PM me if you need any more help! This way saves so much time in the long run!!

Note: I am using Adobe Reader (FREE ONE) Version 7 (the latest). Try updating in case you don't have 7, and if it asks you to update stuff allow it. Hope this helps!

15. PRmed

PRmed 22
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I forgot to mention something really important that may be the problem... You must first save the file to your computer. If you open it, say, directly from Internet Explorer, it won't work; it will just open the text part, not the whole program.

This happens when you are on the internet and you click a link and the pdf shows up automatically. In order to save the document, right click on the link and in the drop down menu pick "Save Target As..." and just save it to the most convenient location (in my opinion, just the Desktop and then you can move it)

16. MissMary

MissMary Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks trekster54!

17. unfrozencaveman

unfrozencaveman not a dude
    7+ Year Member

heh.

18. 10yearmedic

10yearmedic Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks so much trekster54. After saving the files to my desktop, I was able to copy the pages to my clipboard, paste them into Word, and type.

So the next question is: Does anyone have any opinions if the Adcoms prefer applicants to use a different font for answers? And if so, any in particular? What looks most professoinal and is easiest for them to read?

19. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Fer Christ's sake! Just fill it out! Which font is easiest for you to read? Or call them up if you're that worried, and ask "which font should I use to make your life easy and happy and warm and cuddly?" Quit futzing around about the font and send it out. If you are applying for this cycle you are late. Send the apps out as quickly as possible.
    Good luck.
    And make sure you turn on the spell check in Word!

20. KidCapri

KidCapri Member
    5+ Year Member

Try the program I used, PDFill. It only costs $20. It works pretty well, but save between moving between pages of the application, because it has locked up on me once in a while. The web address is http://www.pdfill.com

21. 10yearmedic

10yearmedic Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Whoa dude, chill out. Just like everyone here, I am looking for opinions as to how to make my application as attractive as possible to the Adcoms. The last thing I want is for someone to disregard my app because it's illigible or difficult to read. I can't imagine that the anyone reading these apps is going to spend more than a few minutes reading it, and if it's difficult to decipher, they will probably throw it aside and go on to the next one.

Sorry if this post irritates you, but, like everyone else here, I am just looking for every possible advantage- no matter how trivial it may seem.

22. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

I'm sorry if I seemed angry. I was trying to convey urgency. Get those apps out today! Stop dawdling. Arial, Helvetica, Times New Roman are easy to read (aren't they?). Your app will look more attractive if the content is good and you submit it early in the cycle, not if the font looks nice. I know people who filled in 2ºs by hand and got in. Please hurry for your own sake.

23. 10yearmedic

10yearmedic Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No problem. I am trying to get them all done this weekend. :)

24. solitude

solitude Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Times New Roman is generally considered the most professional font with which to fill in applications.