How did you feel when you started studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bentonj002

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently started studying for the MCAT. My test date is November 7th so I have about 4 months to study. This is my second day and it's honestly making me feel very dumb. I have a 4.0 GPA (which I realize isn't the end all be all), but these practice passages and even the review from TBR is making me feel stupid. Did you feel lost/discouraged/stupid when you first started studying?

Members don't see this ad.

like many have said the MCAT is a lot like running/training for a marathon. The beginning is VERY difficult especially mentally. But our bodies adapt and soon you'll get into this routine of answering questions, predicting the answer choices, and realizing what concept they're testing behind all the fluff they provide in the question/passage. You will have your bad days but with that comes the great days as well. There will be topics that you hope and pray don't show up and vice versa with others. Just keep going and don't let low scores get you down. This is just practice and you have PLENTY of time until November. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Alright, I'm glad it isn't just me then. I think what is really throwing me off is the question set up. It's something I've never really been exposed to before. Thank you all for your responses

Members don't see this ad :)
I have recently started studying for the MCAT. My test date is November 7th so I have about 4 months to study. This is my second day and it's honestly making me feel very dumb. I have a 4.0 GPA (which I realize isn't the end all be all), but these practice passages and even the review from TBR is making me feel stupid. Did you feel lost/discouraged/stupid when you first started studying?

It gets easier in the sense that you get used to it and you definitely will have moments you see improvements. At the same time you will also have moments where you want to burn all your review material and forget being a physician. All in all it sucks, but you will adapt and if you work hard you will succeed.

IMHO, the most important aspect to this process is your mentality. Realize you are getting it wrong now so you can learn from your mistakes. Getting it wrong now helps. Even getting it right helps if you review why you got it correct.

Sleep well, eat well (especially breakfast), and figure out a way to pump yourself up.

Finally, a word of advice. Come to this forum for support. Especially for Q&A. Right now you may find you have no idea WTF is going on with all the questions and topics, but as time goes on you will shift to answering more questions than you are asking and that will solidify the content for you.

Reactions: 1 users
SillyJoe, when you say come to the forums for Q&A support do you mean I should (once I'm farther in my review) come to the forums and answer other member's questions?

SillyJoe, when you say come to the forums for Q&A support do you mean I should (once I'm farther in my review) come to the forums and answer other member's questions?

Are you studying alone? If so, what do you plan on doing when you don't understand a question or a topic as clearly as you like? I think self-study is great, but it is challenging if you become stuck on a passage, question, or topic. That is where the Q&A section is great. Everyone has the same review material and can help clarify issues. At the same time, I have found it personally helpful to try to answer as many questions as I can to solidify the concepts. Besides, it is always nice to pay it forward.

This website is also great for being able to "socialize" and get support from others who are going through the same process as you. I have found that very helpful.

Overall, the forum is fantastic if you are embarking on self-study.

Last edited:
Yes, I am studying alone. And that sounds like a great resource. I will definitely be using it. I'm mostly using the mobile app so hopefully it's on there. Thanks for the tip!