How did you guys answer the question:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycfella

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why do you want to be a doctor?

enlighten me please.

Members don't see this ad.

enlighten me please.

i don't, i want to acquire the necessary knowledge and experience to help mend illness and develop new devices and informatic systems to allow doctors to spend more time with patients.

If you can't come up with you're own answer for this question then start thinking of anothe profession

Members don't see this ad :)
Well put from an engineer!!!

I'm sorry but as an engineer who is currently in the process of applying to MD/PhD programs, I have to doubt your assertion that "I don't [want to be a doc]" will get you in anywhere. Not to hijack this thread, but why pursue an MD degree when a PhD will probably suit you just fine to do the research you want to do?

I'm sorry but as an engineer who is currently in the process of applying to MD/PhD programs, I have to doubt your assertion that "I don't [want to be a doc]" will get you in anywhere. Not to hijack this thread, but why pursue an MD degree when a PhD will probably suit you just fine to do the research you want to do?

yes i am going to try to develop a device to treat cancer or imagine the brain, without knowing what your imaging. how do you partcipate in translational science if you only understand well science. yes, i will write a program to help doctors process unnecessary for patient records, without knowing what is necessary. there are a lot more you can do with a MD degree than just, well practicing medicine. if that is all you had in mind, then why get the PHD. additionally, getting a MD decreases language, understanding, and communication barriers in working with the medical field.

lol xenon, i don't mean to criticize you or anything, but i feel thinking that your going to become a doctor with a MD degree is well very traditional. i seriously doubt the OP mind me stealing the thread hehe he owes me one.

tell them its for sex (nurses) and candy (paycheck). you in for sure :laugh:

I want to become a doctor because I have a passion for mental health, and as a psychiatrist, I can become part of the solution to mental health problems on both the clinical side and the research side.

My comment no longer makes sense now that the spammer was removed.

enlighten me please.

"The same four reasons that everybody does: chicks, money, power, and chicks."

C'mon, don't you watch TV? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can't come up with you're own answer for this question then start thinking of anothe profession

Agree. It is critical that you have an answer to this question of your own reasoning/genesis. If you don't have some strong compelling reason for becoming a doctor other than one that can be satisfied by going into another field, you are wasting your time. Only go into medicine if you WANT to practice medicine. And you can only base this want after some degree of exposure to the field. So sounds like you (OP) have some work to do before you are ready to apply.

Agree! people choose to become a doctor for several reasons and a lot of times their life experiences lead them to their decision.

I didn't mean it that way.

"The same four reasons that everybody does: chicks, money, power, and chicks."

C'mon, don't you watch TV? :)

i was just gonna type that but you beat me to it, perry...;)

as jay-z put it, more money, more cash, more hoes

or as Rick Ross put it, mo' cars, mo' hoes, mo' clothes, mo' blow...

yes i am going to try to develop a device to treat cancer or imagine the brain, without knowing what your imaging. how do you partcipate in translational science if you only understand well science. yes, i will write a program to help doctors process unnecessary for patient records, without knowing what is necessary. there are a lot more you can do with a MD degree than just, well practicing medicine. if that is all you had in mind, then why get the PHD. additionally, getting a MD decreases language, understanding, and communication barriers in working with the medical field.

lol xenon, i don't mean to criticize you or anything, but i feel thinking that your going to become a doctor with a MD degree is well very traditional. i seriously doubt the OP mind me stealing the thread hehe he owes me one.

Very true :oops: .

Agree. It is critical that you have an answer to this question of your own reasoning/genesis. If you don't have some strong compelling reason for becoming a doctor other than one that can be satisfied by going into another field, you are wasting your time. Only go into medicine if you WANT to practice medicine. And you can only base this want after some degree of exposure to the field. So sounds like you (OP) have some work to do before you are ready to apply.

Some what true.
(Not really wasting your time, and the "want" isn't always solely based on "some degree of exposure to the field." :confused: )

If you can't come up with you're own answer for this question then start thinking of another profession

..."coming up with your [btw you spelled it wrong :smuggrin: ] own answer" has nothing to do with the profession :rolleyes: . I don't really understand if this was a general comment or a specific response, but if it was a specific response then I imagine your claiming that I don't have my own answer. Very big assumption to make.:rolleyes:

So many helpful posts here.
Just like me, you guys don't like to see other premeds succeed huh?
One time, someone I know who is a premed got caught cheating during a volunteer program entrance exam, and I had a very guilty pleasure.

i wanna be a doctor (surgeon) because i want to cut people and get away with it. i also think it's cool to be in a profession where a pager doesn't make you look criminal (maybe ya'll got that one). honestly, i love science, i love to figure stuff out, and most importantly i love people. yes, i could be something else with those interests, but i have the ability to become a doctor (and hopefully a researcher...MD/PhD applicant) and i believe that's all the justification i need. if it doesn't make sense then reality will crush my dreams on its on accord. until that happens, sometime you just have to dream big.

I am so using House's reason for being a doc.

"When I was small my father lived in Japan. One day my friend and I went rock climbing. He got hurt and I took him to the hospital.......... etc (name of episode was Son of Coma Guy i think)

let's see if any of the interviewers catch that :p

Someone earlier said "as long as you don't say 'I want to help people'". I think that post had been edited out (TPRorgotutor was that you?)

Why is that a bad answer?

~Silk and Steel

Someone earlier said "as long as you don't say 'I want to help people'". I think that post had been edited out (TPRorgotutor was that you?)

Why is that a bad answer?

~Silk and Steel

There are so many ways to help people. You need to explain why you want to help people medically.

i wanna be a doctor (surgeon) because i want to cut people and get away with it.

:D that's was my initial thought!
I dunno, I like putting myself through all the trouble because it's a more satisfying profession than any I can think of for myself. To have the knowledge on how the body works. To be able to work with a patient and to change a life. I'm not saying it's not possible to do this in any other profession. But to me, it's the only way I would want to.

hmm, don't know if that sounds like a naive answer but it's the best I can come up with right now...

There are so many ways to help people. You need to explain why you want to help people medically.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I guess I was thinking of it more as a part of the answer, as opposed to the only reason. Would that come off okay?

~Silk and Steel

To answer this question, give examples from your clinical experience volunteering. If you can't give examples, then you really don't know why you want to become a doctor.

To answer this question, give examples from your clinical experience volunteering. If you can't give examples, then you really don't know why you want to become a doctor.

I disagree strongly. I work in a lab and at a suicide hotline, but I have never had any clinical experience. Yet, I know exactly why I want to become a doctor.

Clinical exposure -- shadowing, working in a hospital, etc -- is so over rated when it comes to "discovering" medicine. I mean, I shadow a doctor every time I go to the doctor!

Clinical exposure -- shadowing, working in a hospital, etc -- is so over rated when it comes to "discovering" medicine. I mean, I shadow a doctor every time I go to the doctor!
I eat out a lot, but I really don't know a lot about what it means to spend my life as a chef.

I disagree about the clinical exposure point. If you stick around SDN long enough, you'll find that the biggest universal amongst candidates with incredible numbers who do not get into med school is a lack of clinical exposure.

I'm sure some folks get in with no clinical exposure, but many applicants are turned away for just that reason.