How did you guys answer this:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycfella

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Describe your biggest weakness.

Can a person use money? That is, can not having any be a weakness? What about procrastination? Or is it too much of a weakness. I know, I know "use something you can spin," blah, blah, blah.

We knowers are unknown to ourselves, and for a good reason: how can we ever hope to find what he have never looked for?

-Nietzsche

Members don't see this ad.

Never, never, never say you are a procrastinator in an interview. Saying the "P" word is as bad as having a really sloppy desk.

Don't say you work to hard either. You can say something more in the lines of trying to gain more confidence in myself, or I'm working on trying to become more outspoken, etc.

Can a person use money? That is, can not having any be a weakness? What about procrastination? Or is it too much of a weakness. I know, I know "use something you can spin," blah, blah, blah.

We knowers are unknown to ourselves, and for a good reason: how can we ever hope to find what he have never looked for?

-Nietzsche

How about saying you are overly skeptical of what others tell you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I told the interviewers (at all my interviews) that I procrastinate but its something I work on and I feel that my ability to quickly adapt to any situation as my transcript shows will prevent this from being a hindrance in med school. I also said that I am far too trusting at times. I answered the question completely honestly, didn't follow the old "be able to spin it" thing that everyone says...

So far I have 0 post-interview rejection and 2 acceptances... I would say it didnt kill me.

Wow. Just...wow.

I become paralyzed by stress and freeze up. I can only think about the work I have to do -- I don't actually start it.

This happens several times a semester, and I think it is by far my most troubling flaw.

Wow. Just...wow.

I guess I should clarify. The question is :

Describe an experience where you were faced with your weakness or limitations.

I didn't mean what I wrote before. Namely, not having money is a weakness. What I meant was in the context of this question there was a situation where having money would've helped. Sorry if I sounded like a
dick cheney accidently shooting someone...:oops:

I got this one at the interview for my first choice residency slot. Given that I was post-call and exhausted, I answered honestly:

"Sometimes I say what I'm thinking without considering whether I'm being tactful or potentially offending someone."

This launched a 15 minute discussion that was extremely uncomfortable, where he actually asked me for examples. Fortunately, in the end, the interviewer said, "I understand what you mean. I'm the same way. I believe you should say what you think is right, even if it pisses people off."

Lucky me. I matched there.

I didn't mean what I wrote before. Namely, not having money is a weakness. What I meant was in the context of this question there was a situation where having money would've helped. Sorry if I sounded like a

Ha, yeah, it did come off more in the way of "My biggest weakness is that I don't yet own a Lexus". :) Which might indicate that, legit or not, you might want to avoid that answer and go with something more about your character and personality.

The best answer is an honest answer. Describe a real weakness (not of the "I work too hard" bs variety) and give an example of when this came into play. The question also implies that you describe how you overcame or how you attempted to overcome this weakness.

what about saying you tend to take things too seriously? that's actually true, and a big weakness of mine

I've said procrastination in multiple interviews, and just followed up with what I do to try to improve the bad habit. Interviewers don't want to hear a generic answer. They want to see that you know what some of your weaknesses truly are, and that you're making a conscious effort to try to improve those areas. There's not really a wrong answer (other than the typical premed answers of "I try to do too many things at once," etc.) .

General piece of advice: After you say your weakness, always follow it up with how you're addressing it and improving... Even if they don't ask.

When I was asked this question, I talked about how my greatest weakness is that when one thing goes wrong, it can have a dominoe effect of me. That is, the first thing leads to another going wrong, and another, and another. Soon, you feel like there is no way to pull yourself out. For example, when the first question on a test catches you totally by surprise, you tend to do worse on the rest of the test. Or, with my work, if I make a mistake, it gets to me, making me make more mistakes.

Of course, the MOST important thing with these is to show what you have learned about yourself. For example, I talked about how it is only a problem if I let it become one. If I'm able to stop, take a few breaths, and keep going, then it really isn't an issue.

While I agree that not having money can be a major weakness, I'd never say anything to make the interviewer believe I'm going into medicine for the purpose of fixing my financial situation.

While I agree that not having money can be a major weakness, I'd never say anything to make the interviewer believe I'm going into medicine for the purpose of fixing my financial situation.

Exactly...especially since there *are* certainly applicants who are going into medicine to "get rich quick." (Poor, misguided souls...) E.g. there was a poster on SDN a few months ago who was trying to find out what specialty he could make the most money from the fastest so he could by himself a Beemer (or some luxury car...he had it down to the make and model). You don't want to be mistaken for that guy. :)