How did you guys start??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheesecake1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have just finished my sophomore year, and I am now preparing to take my DAT... :scared: But, there is another important task I plan to finish before this summer is over... I hope to figure out exactly where I want to apply for Dental school!

So, I was just wondering how everyone else ended up deciding where he/she wanted to apply. How did you guys start? Where did you look? What did you use as your resources? How did you make your decisions????

I was also wondering if purchasing the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools 2013 would be a good idea or not...

Suggestions for other guides/websites appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I have just finished my sophomore year, and I am now preparing to take my DAT... :scared: But, there is another important task I plan to finish before this summer is over... I hope to figure out exactly where I want to apply for Dental school!

So, I was just wondering how everyone else ended up deciding where he/she wanted to apply. How did you guys start? Where did you look? What did you use as your resources? How did you make your decisions????

I was also wondering if purchasing the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools 2013 would be a good idea or not...

Suggestions for other guides/websites appreciated!

Depending on your GPA/DAT scores, you will know how many schools you should apply to. The ADEA guide book will be your best friend during the whole process, its definitely worth the money. Use that to decide the schools that fit you best. It also breaks down all the pre-reqs for the schools which will be very useful.

My opinion is to apply to as many schools as you can afford. It can only help your chances. 10-20 is the typical range I would say for average/strong applicants.

First look at DentalTown forums under "Dental Students" and find one of the threads about deciding what school to attend. You'll be surprised by the sweeping consensus on the most important, #1, overarching factor.

The most important factors for me were: (1) Cost, (2) Curriculum [medical school, P/F, summer duration for studying for postdoctoral exams, research funding/opportunities, and school philosophy], and (3) Location.

In case you get accepted to more than one school, figure out what your price threshold for choosing the more expensive school is.

During the majority of undergrad, I was tunnel-visioned and aiming for UPenn. Later I found out how UCSF was a much better fit. Surprisingly, I got into both. I never considered cost because I never heard of a poor dentist. I asked a bunch of dentists and they all told me to attend the most affordable school. Confused by overwhelming majority advice on choosing the most affordable school, I finally sat down and calculated the repayment plans. I was floored by the unsubsidized high interest rates, capitalization, the difficulty of obtaining a decent practice loan when your monthly debt-to-income ratio is >30% under a 10-year repayment plan, and uncertain future of dentistry.

I ultimately chose my state school.

http://www.ada.org/sections/advocacy/pdfs/PotentialEffectsoftheACAonDentistry_NewsStory_Final.pdf

Attachments

• Cost of Dental School - A Comparison.xlsx
    20.4 KB · Views: 80
  • ISDS-Leadership-Conference-April-2012-041112-1 - Copy.zip
    419.2 KB · Views: 45
Members don't see this ad :)
First look at DentalTown forums under "Dental Students" and find one of the threads about deciding what school to attend. You'll be surprised by the sweeping consensus on the most important, #1, overarching factor.

The most important factors for me were: (1) Cost, (2) Curriculum [medical school, P/F, summer duration for studying for postdoctoral exams, research funding/opportunities, and school philosophy], and (3) Location.

In case you get accepted to more than one school, figure out what your price threshold for choosing the more expensive school is.

During the majority of undergrad, I was tunnel-visioned and aiming for UPenn. Later I found out how UCSF was a much better fit. Surprisingly, I got into both. I never considered cost because I never heard of a poor dentist. I asked a bunch of dentists and they all told me to attend the most affordable school. Confused by overwhelming majority advice on choosing the most affordable school, I finally sat down and calculated the repayment plans. I was floored by the unsubsidized high interest rates, capitalization, the difficulty of obtaining a decent practice loan when your monthly debt-to-income ratio is >30% under a 10-year repayment plan, and uncertain future of dentistry.

I ultimately chose my state school.

http://www.ada.org/sections/advocacy/pdfs/PotentialEffectsoftheACAonDentistry_NewsStory_Final.pdf

Unfortunately I don't have an account at Dental Town, but yes, I agree that cost is a huge determining factor. But I would like to have a list of schools that fit me, which I could apply to... and I was just wondering how to go about making one. As in, where I could start. But thank you for sharing your story :)

Unfortunately I don't have an account at Dental Town, but yes, I agree that cost is a huge determining factor. But I would like to have a list of schools that fit me, which I could apply to... and I was just wondering how to go about making one. As in, where I could start. But thank you for sharing your story :)

Get the ADEA guidebook, that is your starting point. There aren't all that many schools, so just peruse the book and look at each school for your criteria and start making a list. I excluded schools that had very high costs, that had pre-reqs I didn't plan on taking, and that had very high average GPA/DAT scores. Also I needed a school that allowed cc credits, so that helped.

Get the ADEA guidebook, that is your starting point. There aren't all that many schools, so just peruse the book and look at each school for your criteria and start making a list. I excluded schools that had very high costs, that had pre-reqs I didn't plan on taking, and that had very high average GPA/DAT scores. Also I needed a school that allowed cc credits, so that helped.

Yes, this was very helpful. Thank you! I just wish I could get an ebook of the ADEA guidebook.. :/