How did you make your med school choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sigma

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this question in the pre-med area, but I thought I'd try here as well. (I apologize if this is out of place.)

I was wondering if you had any advice / any "I wish I would have thought of that" type of information on choosing between multiple offers.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think some factors included
o Cost
o Location
o Prestige
o Overall feeling of school
o Curriculum (tough to judge from your point of view)

For me, since location wasn't an issue, it came down to cost, prestige, and overall feeling of school for me.

I didn't really mind one way or another for the curriculum. I thought I would prefer organ-based, but now that I'm really into it, I see myself liking traditional more. My (naive) assumption is the curriculum at most schools will prepare you to be a good doctor, so only pay attention to this factor to this if you feel you would learn better with one curriculum over another.

I'd definitely suggest waiting for financial aid packages before making a decision :) At this point, the only acceptances I would drop are schools that you would not attend even if they give you full scholarships (which you might be surprised, some schools give a ton of financial aid plus small merit based scholars to equal a full scholarship).

if you want to get into a competitive residency like derm or ortho, you'll want to go to the school with the best reputation.

Members don't see this ad :)
i went with a state school...i think my tuition is $17k a year...that beats the hell out of private school tuition