how did you study for bio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mannythemanatee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
it seems like a lot of people here liked schaums...i just purchased that book, but was wondering what else would be helpful to prepare (other than kaplan blue book)

Members don't see this ad.

mannythemanatee said:
it seems like a lot of people here liked schaums...i just purchased that book, but was wondering what else would be helpful to prepare (other than kaplan blue book)

Campbell Biology 6th or 7th edition
-has great study questions at end of each chapter
-has CD w/ additional tests, quizes for each chapter (long ones!)
-there is a supplemental student study question book that you can buy for this text book w/ many more practice questions

This text book really is the Bible of biology if you ask me.

I have the Schaums book. Is it worth buying the Cambell's now to study, or is the book i already have sufficent? I am retaking the DAT on June 8th and really need to improve my bio score

Members don't see this ad :)
lgreen_aci said:
Campbell Biology 6th or 7th edition
-has great study questions at end of each chapter
-has CD w/ additional tests, quizes for each chapter (long ones!)
-there is a supplemental student study question book that you can buy for this text book w/ many more practice questions

This text book really is the Bible of biology if you ask me.

I'm thinking about buying the Campbell book. I was looking at the used 6th edition ones on amazon.com and they mention an online subscription? Is the online subscription helpful or better yet, what does it have? Thanks!

I second campbells, I have both campbells and schaum's, here is my synopsis:

campbells - excellent tool, easy to read, easy to pick out important info, I have not seen a single practice question anywhere that wasn't one of the topics/key words that are in bold in campbells

schaum's - convoluded and hard to read, I personally would not recommend, also has useless explinations for some stuff that seems like a waste of text, the only area I would recommend this as a supplement to campbell is for systems of different organisms, such as how certain organism phyla/classes excrete, circulate, etc.