How did you study for the DAT? Need help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crhoody12

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm sure this has been a thread before, but I was wondering how other people went about studying for the DAT. I have it scheduled for July 6 so I have a month and a half to study (and I'm not working, dedicating all my time to this), but feel overwhelmed in terms of how to thoughtfully go about hitting every sections material. I have the Kaplan Blue Book, Kaplan class material books and online questions, Barron's, CliffNotes, and was going to get TopScore. Anyone have any suggestions that worked for them as to how to break down studying daily/weekly? Thanks and good luck to everyone for the 2008 cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

We're almost on the same boats. Are u taking summer classes? I wanna take my Dat early July.

Hey I'm sure this has been a thread before, but I was wondering how other people went about studying for the DAT. I have it scheduled for July 6 so I have a month and a half to study (and I'm not working, dedicating all my time to this), but feel overwhelmed in terms of how to thoughtfully go about hitting every sections material. I have the Kaplan Blue Book, Kaplan class material books and online questions, Barron's, CliffNotes, and was going to get TopScore. Anyone have any suggestions that worked for them as to how to break down studying daily/weekly? Thanks and good luck to everyone for the 2008 cycle.

Justasatip,itisprobablynotthebestideatolistyourfullnameandemailaddressonSDN.PeopledonotneedtoknowwhoyouareandtherearespamrobotsthatsearchtheseforumsmeaningyouwillgetaLOTofjunkspamemail.

Regarding studying for the DAT, figure out your weak points and work on those first. Study as much as you can, then study even more. 3 months, if you sit down 6 days a week, will net you 21+ if you work hard.

memorize that blue book and you'll score 21 and higher
good luck:D

Members don't see this ad :)
it's funny because people keep talking about what to study and what not...it's very simple, Kaplan
yes, you don't get the chance to do eveything when you take the class however you need to allocate three month for DAT
study the Kaplan blue book in and out
alot of people out here are trying to sell their products to poor students and that's not right...
anyways,
Kaplan is the best source
ask me any question regarding DAT or dental school for that matttttter and I'll answer if I can:D
good luck to you

yea kaplan is great im sure but it is so basic. DESTROYEr is the way to go unless you were a poor student who barely got by in sciences. Kaplan is for review, DESTROYER throws you right into the deep end. If you can make it through that you will hopefully be fine on the real test day!If you have a broad understanding of basic concepts and made a's and b's then the destroyer is the best BANG for your buck!! If your not willing to spend a hundred and fifty bucks on an awesome study guide that will probally ensure you a seat then you need to find another career choice!!

you don't need destroyer. if you are a very good student, you don't need to study...you should know it all:D
i was out of school for 12 years and only did kaplan and i got very high score...and yes, i was an average student
after all, your scores are important however you should be able to show interest in dentistry by other things such as volunteer work etc
i am not saying destroyer is bad but you don't need it, i have three friends with high scores (23's) that didn't got into a single school. any medical school reject can come and do well in DAT, DAT is easier than MCAT but schools are smart and eliminate those candidates. you need to show passion, show a positive trend. :D
good luck to you!

you don't need destroyer. if you are a very good student, you don't need to study...you should know it all:D
i was out of school for 12 years and only did kaplan and i got very high score...and yes, i was an average student
after all, your scores are important however you should be able to show interest in dentistry by other things such as volunteer work etc
i am not saying destroyer is bad but you don't need it, i have three friends with high scores (23's) that didn't got into a single school. any medical school reject can come and do well in DAT, DAT is easier than MCAT but schools are smart and eliminate those candidates. you need to show passion, show a positive trend. :D
good luck to you!

you REALLY should not give people advice ESSPECIALLY if your about to tell folks that the DAT is easy and all that is needed is to be a "good student"....I might agree with you if you said that SOME parts of the DAT can be easy for some folks.... but not everyone is the same....

Some of us here have some SERIOUS issues with the DAT, I personally am terrified of the RC(english 3rd lang).

good luck to you!

Its really disheartening to hear that your freinds with 23's on the DAT did not get in. Can you elaborate on why they didnt get in and what schools they applied to?

Its really disheartening to hear that your freinds with 23's on the DAT did not get in. Can you elaborate on why they didnt get in and what schools they applied to?

i don't know. some were 4.0 students too. this is actually a good news for passionate students. the fact that dental schools are looking for people who are more qualified meaning that they look at your other qualifications, beyond your grade.
some got interviews and didn't get the seats.
keep your head up, it's not just your grades, it's what you have to offer as a person. what difference can you make in your society
good luck:D

The Kaplan book is good but i would also use other study guides. The Kaplan book gives a good start, but i would use Topscore to take some practice exams and get used to taking the test on the computer. After, i would use the Destroyer, which gives a great review of the sciences. The questions are detailed and it offers great explanations. Just using one book is just not good enough to get a high score.

I have the green one and doing the class...should i get the blue one too?:idea:

Just stick to the green one...the blue book is almost a carbon copy (don't waste your moola, u're gonna need it for ur applications). The green book has review questions at the end of each section (thats about the only difference) And regarding tips on how to study...just dive into it... I found out asking ppl how to study, didn't really get me to study...JUST DO IT!! Good luck!!