How did your school fare with the hurricane?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pstrick

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did your school do with Irma?
Hurricane carved a path right through all those tiny islands. I'm curious if any schools were damaged.

Members don't see this ad.

AUA told students to go home. 80% left the campus according to my friend who left. He is going back next week so I'm assuming things are find down there.

AUA students and staff came through Irma and Jose with no reported injuries. There were downed branches in roads, overnight loss of power, but otherwise, the island sustained little damage. A small island to the north of Antigua, Barbuda, took a direct hit from Irma, so between the two hurricanes (Irma and Jose) AUA students collected supplies, raised funds and assisted in the evacuation of the residents of that island. No AUA students were in Barbuda during the storm.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is excellent news DaniellefromAUA. It makes me happy to hear of the displays of altruism by the AUA student body during a time of need. While we have you here though, any thoughts on the abysmal pass rate of your first semester students into the second term? I think that would be the bigger story for this site and for those considering your school.

AUC campus and the entire island is trashed. I was there in building 2 during the Hurricane. Not having school there for at least a couple of years.

Thank you. There are still students and faculty being evacuated as we speak. They told us what they are trying to do but nothing is concrete yet. I don't want to say things that aren't "completely" true.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. There are still students and faculty being evacuated as we speak. They told us what they are trying to do but nothing is concrete yet. I don't want to say things that aren't "completely" true.
I was sorry to hear about the extensive damage to Sint Maarten and AUC - I was considering applying to AUC next year. I thought that Caribbean schools had to hold the first two years outside the US, so I was surprised to hear that the school is sending the students to Chicago. However, there are many med schools in the Caribbean that are struggling/not as well-regarded as AUC, so perhaps they will rent space from one of those schools. I wish you and your classmates the best of luck

I was sorry to hear about the extensive damage to Sint Maarten and AUC - I was considering applying to AUC next year. I thought that Caribbean schools had to hold the first two years outside the US, so I was surprised to hear that the school is sending the students to Chicago. However, there are many med schools in the Caribbean that are struggling/not as well-regarded as AUC, so perhaps they will rent space from one of those schools. I wish you and your classmates the best of luck
Thank you. AUC's parent company owns many properties throughout the country. In 1995 they relocated to the states to hold classes because of a natural disaster. But this time, I don't think my class will ever see the island again. Maybe for our graduation ceremony.

So AUC will spend all 4 years in the US? I guess LCME doesn't care, but then again I'm not sure they can stop them. since Ross and AUC are owned by the same company, why can't AUC relocate there in the carribbean and cut down on the number of people Ross accepts. September 2017 class didn't even actually start classes. AUC enrollment will increase if they do chicago for 4 years. They will get so many people interested in transferring. So I guess thats the best business decision ever. I wonder if they are still accepting applications for those wanting to start in September 2017. Probably.