How difficult is it to find a stable job after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yazo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A common theme I notice on the forums here is that the future for new graduates is bleak. Other podiatrists will take advantage of you and positions at hospitals often don't exist or are part-time. I know that saturation is a factor, but I'm in a rural area and there are still quite a few podiatrists in this area.

My question is: how difficult is it for a new graduate to find a stable job that he can stay in without moving around to different areas every few years?

I've been thinking that a good solution might be starting your own practice right out of school.

Also, I've used the search function and read many older threads, but I thought there might be input from newer members.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How difficult is it to find a stable job? Unless yyyu are going to work for your mom or dad who is a podiatrist.....it is 100 percent unstable. Keep driving the same beater from residency, rent, write your next 5 years out in pencil. Things change. Some you have control over and some you don't. The margin of error is so much smaller for a podiatrist than a MD. Less income, less chances still lenty of debt. An MD making 350k a year starting out can afford to make a few mistakes. So embrace the instability. Don't over commit. Don't buy crap you don't need, don't over extend yourself. When a better offer comes up be ready to pick up and leave . The saying is true, it's easier to get a job when you have a job. It's different when you are finishing up residency. You have to go somewhere....or you can be stupid and do a fellowship.....but that's for another thread. (PS use the search function - PSS nothing has changed they are still worthless for 99 percent of people. More free labor for practice owners)

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with what air bud says, except for the hyperbole of 100% unstable haha. It's probably more like 99%. If you want to go rural, the stability factor is a lot better I think--especially if you start your own thing and it's successful. There are plenty of rural areas with little/no competition, so seeking those out would be ideal. The drawback of course is the possibility of worse schools (if you have kids), and no good restaurants!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with what air bud says, except for the hyperbole of 100% unstable haha. It's probably more like 99%. If you want to go rural, the stability factor is a lot better I think--especially if you start your own thing and it's successful. There are plenty of rural areas with little/no competition, so seeking those out would be ideal. The drawback of course is the possibility of worse schools (if you have kids), and no good restaurants!

Not true. In fact in my little podunk town in the middle of nowhere there is a thai restaurant as good as any I have eaten at (I did residency in a city of greater than 3 million people). There is lots of good steaks, good breweries etc. When I want moroccan food or something like that I just order blue apron. I travel plenty and we make a point of eating food that we can't get at home. Again, these places aren't as isolated as people think. Also, you shouldn't be eating out too much if you are trying to save money and pay off debt. And schools? I promise the class sizes are probably smaller. And again the internet is amazing these days for education. And do you really think if you are a smart loving parent that these days you can't get your kids a good education anywhere? Like these people who move 1 mile over and lose a ton on a house they bought and then have to buy another more expensive house just to be in a different school district??? give me a fing break.

Not true. In fact in my little podunk town in the middle of nowhere there is a thai restaurant as good as any I have eaten at (I did residency in a city of greater than 3 million people). There is lots of good steaks, good breweries etc. When I want moroccan food or something like that I just order blue apron. I travel plenty and we make a point of eating food that we can't get at home. Again, these places aren't as isolated as people think. Also, you shouldn't be eating out too much if you are trying to save money and pay off debt. And schools? I promise the class sizes are probably smaller. And again the internet is amazing these days for education. And do you really think if you are a smart loving parent that these days you can't get your kids a good education anywhere? Like these people who move 1 mile over and lose a ton on a house they bought and then have to buy another more expensive house just to be in a different school district??? give me a fing break.

LOL. OK, so no drawbacks. Go rural, man!

how difficult is it for a new graduate to find a stable job that he can stay in without moving around to different areas every few years?

If you are willing to live anywhere, it is not a problem. At all.

If you have geographic limitations then I would definitely consider a) starting your own practice if the market allows you to or b) pay attention to non-competes and know that the podiatrist you go work for is probably ripping you off and you'll end up changing practices a few times

The key factor is to make sure you have a big ‘ole Sears catalog in the outhouse to make sure you never run out of paper in there.

The key factor is to make sure you have a big ‘ole Sears catalog in the outhouse to make sure you never run out of paper in there.
100 percent serious my house was from a Sears catalog. 1939 Sears catalog.

From your explanation and the true “rural” setting you’re in, it’s likely you’ll be removing a lot of extra digits that result from Billy Bob marrying his cousin Peggy Lou!

If you are willing to live anywhere, it is not a problem. At all.

If you have geographic limitations then I would definitely consider a) starting your own practice if the market allows you to or b) pay attention to non-competes and know that the podiatrist you go work for is probably ripping you off and you'll end up changing practices a few times

This is 100% true. There are good jobs out there and you can CREATE opportunity if you are literally willing to move ANYWHERE. Most of the opportunity are in areas of the USA where most people do not want to live. But hey that's why we have airplanes. You can always leave and visit somewhere you want to be.

I would rather work in an area of need providing a valuable service and making some nice money rather than work in or near a well known metropolis that is already over saturated with podiatrists and the politics these established groups will create to hold you back.

Reactions: 1 users
This is 100% true. There are good jobs out there and you can CREATE opportunity if you are literally willing to move ANYWHERE. Most of the opportunity are in areas of the USA where most people do not want to live. But hey that's why we have airplanes. You can always leave and visit somewhere you want to be.

I would rather work in an area of need providing a valuable service and making some nice money rather than work in or near a well known metropolis that is already over saturated with podiatrists and the politics these established groups will create to hold you back.

Ding ding ding. This cat wins the prize and understands podiatry. This is so damn true if you aren't operating like a TFP. The growth areas in the US are the underserved and still developing areas of the USA --- think Kansas City. Going to podiatry school, picking a residency program based on your desire to live in a major city --- get some lubricant, because it's gonna hurt when you get the wake up call as to how much more difficult it is landing a GOOD job in this field as compared to MD/DO route in a major city. If you do join a private practice, make sure partnership is on the table up front, or is written somewhere in your contract that evens the legal playing field for YOU, you need a time frame, and know your worth.