How difficult is it to match into a heme onc fellowship. DO candidate with 23x/23x step 1 and 2.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi all, currently a 2nd year IM resident and thinking about doing heme onc.... I already completed a heme onc rotation last year and I have another heme onc rotation coming up this year. Wondering how much work and research I need to do to match into any heme onc fellowship.
I'm a DO IM resident at a small new community program and I have a 230 and 237 on steps 1 and 2.
I've been doing decent so far and wondering what should I do to have a strong chance to match.
Is it just publishing and doing lots of research/case studies? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Small new community program will be biggest barrier IMO unless your attendings love you and they have some ties to local programs. Scores/DO won’t be a big barrier. Overall I’d say you have a good shot.

Hi all, currently a 2nd year IM resident and thinking about doing heme onc.... I already completed a heme onc rotation last year and I have another heme onc rotation coming up this year. Wondering how much work and research I need to do to match into any heme onc fellowship.
I'm a DO IM resident at a small new community program and I have a 230 and 237 on steps 1 and 2.
I've been doing decent so far and wondering what should I do to have a strong chance to match.
Is it just publishing and doing lots of research/case studies? Thanks.
I'm assuming your institution doesn't have its own in-house heme-onc fellowship. If that's the case matching will be pretty uncertain if you apply straight out of residency, especially as a DO coming from a new program and without much research by PGY-2 year. USMLE scores do matter to some extent for screening purposes but yours should be above the minimum cutoff for most lower and mid-tier programs. Would be safer (but still not guaranteed) if you either do a 1-year fellowship first (eg transfusion medicine) prior to applying or working for about 2 years as hospitalist on heme/onc service (usually at an academic medical center).

Members don't see this ad :)
Are scores really important for the fellowship?

High scores will, to an extent, make up for lackluster extracurrics. But if you have 8 pubs and Steps in the 220s at least, plenty of places will give consideration. There tends to be a positive correlation between high scores and impressive extracurrics, though, so all you can do is get the best research and letters you can then apply realistically.