How difficult is OSU-COM as a nonresident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be applying to OSU-COM and am wondering if I have a shot. I read that 90% of the class are OK residents. I have a 3.5 gpa and 29P mcat. I'm a AR resident. Is it really competitive as a nonresident? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by KatieJune
I'm going to be applying to OSU-COM and am wondering if I have a shot. I read that 90% of the class are OK residents. I have a 3.5 gpa and 29P mcat. I'm a AR resident. Is it really competitive as a nonresident? Thanks!

i'm a non-resident, and if you can get used to the okies and their . . "okie"ness it's not that bad . .

seriously though, don't discount OSU just because they don't seem nonresident friendly. go ahead and apply-- if i remember correctly, they make the big paring down with the interview. so if you make the interview, your chances of getting accepted increase to at least 50%. probably a bit higher, considering many out of staters (like me) will be strong enough applicants to get acceptances from the private DO schools as well as their own state allopathic schools. I turned down kirksville and mizzou, so not *everyone* with other acceptances leaves, but some will.

tuition wise, i think out of state at OSU is comparable to the privates, but with OSU you get 1) a large university system for support, 2) name recognition in the residency world-- ("you're from Oklahoma State? that's cool, they had a great football season and their basketball team is the best in the big twelve, blah blah blah" versus "kirkville?? where the hell is that?") 3) a city that you can actuially do some things in your free time.

there are other perks as well, but the bottom line is don't let what appears to be a low out of state selection trend to make you not apply.

It is not too bad. The regents mandate that "at least 90% of the spots for the incoming class are resrved for OK residents", so this limits the available OOS spots to around 9. I know people who got in with substantially poorer numbers than that. You just need to prepare well for your interview and follow up. Arkansas might actually have a better chance than some other states, given the proximity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by KatieJune
I want to apply to OSU-COM and am wondering if its really competitive as a nonresident. I have a 3.5gpa, 29P mcat and am an AR resident. thanks!

My numbers were only slightly higher than that and I got in as an out-of-stater. If you have a decent interview, I think you're golden. Feel free to ask questions. Fenrezz and Idiopathic are also out-of-staters at OSU-COM.

You're competitive. (and we get quite a few from AR here...I can think of 3 in my class alone).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. :D

Your credientials are higher than mine, and I interviewed the week before Thanksgiving and was accepted a week or two after. I live in Texas.

Good Luck!

My stats were slightly lower than that, I interviewed at the end of March, got waitlisted, then accepted in May. I'm from southern Florida, by the way.

Fenrezz fails to mention that he is a member of one of the most notorious crime families on the east coast. He made OSU an offer they couldn't refuse. When the Dean threatened to keep him on the waitlist, Fenrezz introduced the Dean to his little friend.

You sick puppies. I suggest renting Scarface. :p

Originally posted by DireWolf
You sick puppies. I suggest renting Scarface. :p

MUHAHAHHAHA when I read that quote, I totally got the scareface reference....and I didn't get why people were ewwwwwww-ing. I guess my mind is finally getting out of the gutter....either that or I'm damn tired.

Originally posted by Robz
MUHAHAHHAHA when I read that quote, I totally got the scareface reference....and I didn't get why people were ewwwwwww-ing. I guess my mind is finally getting out of the gutter....either that or I'm damn tired.

i got the scarface comparison. but the rumors of Fenrezz's "little friend" have little to do with machine guns. ;)

on a sidenote, speaking of scarface-- i think GTA Vice City should have been titled GTA Scarface. the similarities are awesome :) I hope GTA San Andreas has the same kind of feel. :)

Originally posted by Homunculus
i got the scarface comparison. but the rumors of Fenrezz's "little friend" have little to do with machine guns. ;)

on a sidenote, speaking of scarface-- i think GTA Vice City should have been titled GTA Scarface. the similarities are awesome :) I hope GTA San Andreas has the same kind of feel. :)

I am living proof that violent video games are stress relievers for people. I LOVE the GTA series. Can't wait for San Andreas. Can't wait.....

But since its an OSU thread....can you imagine a GTA....OSU. Hey they stole my tractor!