How do clinical rotations work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayhawker1193

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really looking at A.T Still Kirksville and KCUMB given that I am from Wichita, Kansas. I see both of these schools have clinical rotation sites in Wichita. Does this mean that I would get to stay in Wichita for two years straight? If I would go to a different city for rotations, do they let you do the rotations in the same city or do you have to travel? Do you ever have to go back to the original medical school where you did your first two years?

Members don't see this ad.

I am really looking at A.T Still Kirksville and KCUMB given that I am from Wichita, Kansas. I see both of these schools have clinical rotation sites in Wichita. Does this mean that I would get to stay in Wichita for two years straight? If I would go to a different city for rotations, do they let you do the rotations in the same city or do you have to travel? Do you ever have to go back to the original medical school where you did your first two years?

Most schools have a lottery system when it comes to rotations so there is no guarantee you will get exactly what you want. They may let you do all your rotations in the same city provided they have affiliated sites for all of those rotations. So you might be traveling.