How do go about finding DO's to Shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinkocopies3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am interested in applying to DO schools for the Fall of 2005 entering class. Well since DO schools recommend a letter from a DO, I have been trying to shadow a DO in my area, but I haven't been able to! Usually the secretaries talk to the physicians, and they are either too busy or don't want intervention or something else. I am feeling very discouraged about finding a DO to shadow before the next application cycle. I'd really like to learn more about osteophatic medicine. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The best places to find DOs are either in private practices or in hospitals. I don't know where you reside but I'll tell you what I was able to do in NYC. I took my chances and registered to volunteer in any large department at a local hospital. I found an abundance of DOs (and DO med students) everywhere, including in the cafeteria. I was outgoing and expressed my interest in shadowing a few of the doctors. Some shot me down but that was okay, it was sort of like playing the field.

Well that is a tough one. It seems that some people have trouble finding DO's that will help them out in this area. I would suggest simply going through the phone book and calling every DO until you find one that is willing to help you out. Don't forget this when you become a practicing DO and a student calls you up and asks for some help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe I heard the suggestion in the past to contact your local state Osteopathic med assn and see if they have any leads towards DOs in your area that might be friendly towards pre-students.

Good luck! :)

If you happen to be near one of the DO schools, call their alumni association. If you aren't THAT close, then call the one that is closest to you, and see what alumni are in your area. Sometimes alumni that keep in contact with their school are more willing to have an applicant shadow them.

Good luck!!

You might also see if one of your family members is treated by a DO. This can get you face to face with him/her and you may have better results. If you do live close to one of the DO schools, you can also try calling and asking to shadow one of their faculty members. This has the added benefit of allowing someone on the "inside" of the school to get to know you and why you would may an excellent physician.

With all of these ideas that everyone has posted, are bound to find a DO that will help you. Good Luck

Willie B

hmmm i answered this same question in a dif thread. call the AOA. they are supposed to have a program (newly established) that will help u find a DO.

they didn't have this when i was looking for a DO and i did the "call every DO in the book thing." it doesnt work well for a bunch of resons:
1. most of time u talk 2 secratary who either is told by the doctor to tell students to buzz off or she does not understand that u want to shadow a doctor no matter how much u explain it to her/him - after explaining about 20 times that i am pre-med a secratary asked me again wht medical school i went to. man it made me wanna shoot myself. this happened many times

2. they never give the message to the doctor

3. even if u go there in person u probably will get stopped by the secratary and never see the doc to ask him/her yourself

this said, u might get very lucky like i did adn find a DO just by calling( i called about 30 of them adn visited another 10 or so before i foun done who would see me)

call teh AOA it will save u pain and suffering

a DO i interviewed with told me that many docs dont wanna bother with pre-meds cause many times they don't know how 2 dress or act professionally

GOOD LUCK

Originally posted by BklynWill
The best places to find DOs are either in private practices or in hospitals. I don't know where you reside but I'll tell you what I was able to do in NYC. I took my chances and registered to volunteer in any large department at a local hospital. I found an abundance of DOs (and DO med students) everywhere, including in the cafeteria. I was outgoing and expressed my interest in shadowing a few of the doctors. Some shot me down but that was okay, it was sort of like playing the field.

hey BkynWill.. do you mind sharing at what hospital this was at? I live right over the VZ from you!
I have yet to shadow any dr... but am looking into it.

and i finally got my first interview at nycom, so maybe i wont have to :)