How do H1B residency applications work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otherstuff12321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm an MS4 from Canada in an American medical school on an F1 visa, applying for anesthesiology this summer.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience applying for residency programs while needing an H1B visa? I wasn't sure if there are extra steps done outside of ERAS to complete applications if an H1B is required. Would I need to start letting residency programs know about this now and would I have to start the H1B application process soon?

Also, does anybody know when an AMG from a foreign country would need to take Step 3 if planning to apply for an H1B visa?

Finally, if a residency program does offer H1B visas, would chances of acceptance still be decreased if an applicant requires this visa?

Sorry for all the questions! I hope this will help anybody else wondering the same things!

Members don't see this ad.

Start here, read this whole thread: Orientation about Visas ??

Most of this remains accurate, some small details have changed (i.e. you can now work on an H4, but that was by executive action and hence could be undone at any time).

If questions remain, feel free to post. Happy reading!