Medical How Do I Explain Leaving Previous Residency Program on my Fellowship Application?

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone
I had a question regarding my upcoming pulmonary/critical care fellowship application on ERAS, which is beginning to open soon.

Before I went through my current residency position (where I am currently a PGY-3 chief resident), I was briefly at a program for about 3 months before I began displaying behaviors related to my chemical dependency. I was showing up late for work and subsequently failed a drug test, and was fired from a program after 3 short months of being there.

Immediately following that, I entered drug and alcohol inpatient rehab for 54 days, enrolled in the Physicians Health Program (PHP) and PHMP, and am happy to say I'm close to 3 years sober now. Additionally, I'm in the above programs that can attest to my sobriety and continued participation in the program.

ANYWAY:
- On the ERAS application there is a section that lists "any current or prior ACGME positions at which you have trained" ... I would like to just completely not include the prior residency to make things simpler, but I think I need to be completely transparent.


1592937794617.png



- Additionally, there is a section that asks, "Was your medical training extended or interrupted?" ... Do I absolutely have to put yes to this? My training at my current residency has not been extended or interrupted
1592937856272.png




Would really appreciate people's thoughts
Thanks so much
Yes and Yes. Do not lie about this. Lying is a common symptom of substance abuse. You're going to be disclosing your enrollment with PHP, this is really not much worse.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.