Medical How do I gain experience to apply 2021 cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, so currently a junior on the premed path and plan to take the MCAT soon. I have a 3.64 cumulative GPA and a 3.5 Science. My main concern with my application is not having real clinical experience or shadowing. Since COVID started I've been searching up and down for opportunities and almost all local hospitals or medical clinics are not allowing anyone to shadow or volunteer because of COVID. I'm from an underserved area and there is already a lack of opportunities and with COVID it's become more difficult. I've started doing some eShadowing sessions but I know this isn't the same. I feel like I have decent EC outside of clinical areas. I have been a tutor for 3 semesters now doing peer tutoring through my university helping students in mostly science-based classes for around 5-6 hours a week. I've also held several leadership positions in my fraternal organizations (scholarship chair, philanthropy chair, VP, and currently President.) In these positions, I've gained a lot of experience in terms of leadership and communication skills while being able to give back a lot to our local community through philanthropy events and community service opportunities. I really want to give back to underserved areas like where I'm from. I've had to help take care of my mother recently because she broke her leg, pelvis, and shoulder all within a short amount of time. She has to travel a lot to see her doctor and it's showed me how being in an underserved area affects people within the communities. I did recently get the opportunity to do research next semester and this upcoming summer with my organic chemistry professor which will help in experience and is something that really interests me. I also have ADHD and have a doctor's appointment once a month with my primary physician. I often ask him many questions about being a doctor and his experience with it all. I feel like mentioning this might actually hurt my application and don't want to add anything that may make me look weaker as an applicant. With all this being said, I hear so often about the importance of having clinical experience and shadowing hours, and I'm not sure how to obtain these hours and experience during the pandemic. It worries me greatly that if I cannot gain enough of these hours before applying it will decrease my chances of acceptance anywhere. Any advice on how I could improve myself or gaining this experience would help a ton. Thanks to all who took the time to read this.
Everyone is in the same boat. You need clinical and shadowing to apply. Hopefully, things will start moving in the right direction and you will be able to get in some more clinical and shadowing experiences. You always want to apply with the best app possible, so do not rush this.

Also, the talks with your doc won't help you at all. You need to get shadowing where you see what a doctor does on a daily basis. This is not only important for your app, but it's important for YOU. You don't want to get into something and then figure out you absolutely hate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a harsh truth: your safety, as well as that of your family and society, is more important than your med school plans.

In the mean time, you can work on your nonclinical volunteering. Or get a scribing job. That knocks off shadowing, patient contact experience AND is employment, which is always a good thing.

Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.