How do I handle techs that won't do what I ask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharBeyondDriven

Reaction score
I'm a new pharmacist working for a chain pharmacy. I never interact with other pharmacists at work, as my store doesn't do overlap. Sometimes when I ask a certain tech to get the register, she'll just flat out tell me "no, I'm doing something else." She seems to especially hate the register or doing anything involving insurance.

The way I see it, The pharmacist is the rate limiting step and I shouldn't have to stop verifying to go to the register (especially when I have 2 techs). Also, from a financial perspective, it doesn't make sense to pay someone $70 an hour to do menial work.

How do I get the techs to do what I ask without over reacting? I was so mad earlier today that I thought about asking the tech to leave for the day.

This tech has been with the company 20 years and I've only been a pharmacist for a month.

Members don't see this ad.

Well that's part of the problem. A tech who works 20 years for a chain is probably a dead-ender. Not helping customers or resolving insurance? This tech is a complete waste of carbon.

These kinds of techs rely on the fear of pharmacists not willing to call them out on their B.S.

Customer-facing activities come first. Period. I would love it if floater pharmacists document every bad interaction with a bad-apple tech so I can expedite the process of firing them.

Reactions: 5 users
Write them up.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on what chain you are working for. You can just write that person up at RA. At CVS, you may have to talk to your RXM first.

I recycle techs. At my store all the oldies and long tenure techs are gone. I don’t need old betty moping around while I get yelled at by corporate. Move your ass or i’ll find someone that will.

Reactions: 4 users
Follow your work flow, if i have only one tech , the tech runs registers , if i have two techs, one in the front , one fill .... of course , I help sometimes if all my F4s and Reviews down to zero ... use your lead tech to help, if two techs are busy eg: on the phone with insurance or pt’s, call IC3 :)

I'm a new pharmacist working for a chain pharmacy. I never interact with other pharmacists at work, as my store doesn't do overlap. Sometimes when I ask a certain tech to get the register, she'll just flat out tell me "no, I'm doing something else."
"That wasn't a request."

Reactions: 7 users
I'm a new pharmacist working for a chain pharmacy. I never interact with other pharmacists at work, as my store doesn't do overlap. Sometimes when I ask a certain tech to get the register, she'll just flat out tell me "no, I'm doing something else." She seems to especially hate the register or doing anything involving insurance.

The way I see it, The pharmacist is the rate limiting step and I shouldn't have to stop verifying to go to the register (especially when I have 2 techs). Also, from a financial perspective, it doesn't make sense to pay someone $70 an hour to do menial work.

How do I get the techs to do what I ask without over reacting? I was so mad earlier today that I thought about asking the tech to leave for the day.

This tech has been with the company 20 years and I've only been a pharmacist for a month.

Yeah, that's the downside with 'lifer' techs. They can run circles around me with insurance issues and system glitches, but are too set in their ways... One of my older techs doesn't fill, except for the token z-pack. Manager knows about it, so do all the techs. I don't know if its an issue with manual dexterity or what, but it drives me up the wall (she doesn't exactly light the world on fire at pick up either...).

On a side note though, while your techs should do what you say, keep in mind that verifying prescriptions is *usually* the least time-intensive element, compared to entering in new scripts, counting pills, fixing insurance issues, etc). Personally, I'd want my techs to be focus on these issues while I tag-team between register and verification station, calling for help when necessary.

Sorry if this comes off as abrasive, but why is this even a question?

Society is based on leverage. You have leverage over them. You can write them up, but they can't write you up. The tech doesn't seem to understand that.

Send them home and write them up.

A good leader is someone who is willing to do the same task that is asked of those they are leading...

If that technician is being insubordinate in the fact that they are flat out telling you no because they think it’s not their job - you need to do something about that - especially if this is the “senior” tech..

Now, if that technician is barely keeping their head above water - then i feel like you should be able to help out - regardless of what you think the “rate limiting” step is... if you don’t have prescriptions filled and ready to be checked - don’t you think that’s also rate limiting?

IMO; You need to work on the “Team Work” and ensure that everyone is on the same page when it comes to this..

Remember that a technician can either make or break you... a good technician is worth their weight in gold..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually bring donuts in the morning and buy lunch for my techs when I work in the retail setting. Try to be friends with your techs. Maybe hang out with them after work etc. If you build a bond with your tech they will respond to your request for help like a friend does. Most of my friends who own pharmacies are good friends with their techs also. Remember what history has taught us. When you act like a monarch or king and order people around there is a revolt. Good lucky my friend.

If you are corporate it's not a good idea to gain favor with techs by acting like you are friends with them or even buying lunch unless you are willing to treat everyone equally. You might get accused of favoritism later and it would be harder to mete out discipline if they go crying to HR later.

Some techs might understand your acts of ingratiation are transactional. Others are mentally underdeveloped and will think you are actually friends with them. Not good

I cant help noticing that you stated you only been with the company for a month. Make sure you pass probation before taking anyone's advice that involves aggressive confrontation. Remember that the tech might have a say in your evaluation and that could lead to trouble and loss of the job if you handle the situation wrong. Try to be an Angel till you pass probation is what I am trying to say.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If the tech is in the middle of another task and will soon be finished, that's not the same as someone who flat out refuses to do something that IS their job.

When I worked at a hospital, I had a technician, who was known for her attitude anyway, nearly lose her job because she told me she was "too busy" to tube some stat Zofran or Anzemet. :rage:

Its Make big problem when other people our senior and we are junior or fresher in front of them. so we can't tell to someone directly or strictly "do this". Its depend upon nature which kind of nature he/she has. We should manage all the things according to time or according to person. Problems will be solved automatically if we recognize the nature of a person. we have to make strategies to do the work perfectively.

I try to be as courteous as possible to my pharmacists. I tried to always answer phones, deal with refills, enter the majority of e scripts, file, deal with the drive through, etc. I feel like if they go to school 6-8 years or more to do this the least I can do for them is take care of the more menial/mundane stuff as much as possible and let them focus on the more important tasks.

Reactions: 1 user
A good leader is someone who is willing to do the same task that is asked of those they are leading...

If that technician is being insubordinate in the fact that they are flat out telling you no because they think it’s not their job - you need to do something about that - especially if this is the “senior” tech..

Now, if that technician is barely keeping their head above water - then i feel like you should be able to help out - regardless of what you think the “rate limiting” step is... if you don’t have prescriptions filled and ready to be checked - don’t you think that’s also rate limiting?

IMO; You need to work on the “Team Work” and ensure that everyone is on the same page when it comes to this..

Remember that a technician can either make or break you... a good technician is worth their weight in gold..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And the experienced tech knows that a pharmacist has much more at stake than they do, and detecting that naive a work philosophy, knows that leadership exertion will continue the churn without any effort on the tech's part.

I'm not saying be a complete monster (because sabotage is real), but learn to manipulate your techs. Screw their schedules, cut hours, random acts of cruelty and kindness, buy lunch, you need to condition your techs that you are in control and you're willing to be both good and evil.

You have a tech barely productive and they are experienced, you're not going to fix them, manage them out. You don't even have to be the manager, be creative.

And in general, don't treat others like you want to be treated; treat others according to what they deserve. They have the rifles, but you have the pistol for a reason.

I usually bring donuts in the morning and buy lunch for my techs when I work in the retail setting. Try to be friends with your techs. Maybe hang out with them after work etc. If you build a bond with your tech they will respond to your request for help like a friend does. Most of my friends who own pharmacies are good friends with their techs also. Remember what history has taught us. When you act like a monarch or king and order people around there is a revolt. Good lucky my friend.

Worst advice ever. Be friendly but never a friend with any tech. I learned the hard way become to close to some of my techs. I start to lose all respect for you as a Pharmacist and don't see you as a leader.

Worst advice ever. Be friendly but never a friend with any tech. I learned the hard way become to close to some of my techs. I start to lose all respect for you as a Pharmacist and don't see you as a leader.
Lol.
It's dependent on personality.

I still chat with my target techs.

Yeah, this happened to me too at my current store. It’s a tough tightrope to walk.

Ruuuude. We're people too hahaha

How is a "typical" tech in a hospital? I heard many places the techs basically run the pharmacy. I can only imagine how they would walk all over the pharmacists there.

Ruuuude. We're people too hahaha

Trust me, I love my techs and have all the respect for how hard they work. But I made the mistake of becoming buddy buddy with a couple of them and got burned big time. They started treating me like one of their bff and would say no to everything I ask them to do and even mock and make fun of me. I know they were joking but the other techs see that and you know how the rest of the story goes...

Reactions: 3 users
How is a "typical" tech in a hospital? I heard many places the techs basically run the pharmacy. I can only imagine how they would walk all over the pharmacists there.

From what I'm reading here about retail, it sounds like hospital techs are pretty much the same. The ones who've been there for years want to do what they want to do, and not be interrupted by the pharmacist. The younger ones, are more likely to do and to jump in, where ever the pharmacist tells them to. Once in a while, a young one will aspire to be an older one, and start acting like one way before they have the experience to get away with it.

The worst part is the constant gossip, if the techs don't like a pharmacist, then then they will make sure all the other pharmacists know it, they will blame anything that goes wrong on that pharmacist, and they will talk about that other pharmacist ad nauseum. They will do the same with a technician they don't like.

But the OP's tech does sound like a special number, I've had techs mumble and grumble, I've had techs passive-aggressively go super slow or do a half-job, I've had techs say "sure, in a minute.....", but I've never had a tech out and out refuse to do something I requested of them. But if you are still on the probation period, I would ignore it until you are af ull employee.

Reactions: 2 users
From what I'm reading here about retail, it sounds like hospital techs are pretty much the same. The ones who've been there for years want to do what they want to do, and not be interrupted by the pharmacist. The younger ones, are more likely to do and to jump in, where ever the pharmacist tells them to. Once in a while, a young one will aspire to be an older one, and start acting like one way before they have the experience to get away with it.

The worst part is the constant gossip, if the techs don't like a pharmacist, then then they will make sure all the other pharmacists know it, they will blame anything that goes wrong on that pharmacist, and they will talk about that other pharmacist ad nauseum. They will do the same with a technician they don't like.

But the OP's tech does sound like a special number, I've had techs mumble and grumble, I've had techs passive-aggressively go super slow or do a half-job, I've had techs say "sure, in a minute.....", but I've never had a tech out and out refuse to do something I requested of them. But if you are still on the probation period, I would ignore it until you are af ull employee.

thanks. How do you deal with those bad techs? I don't know, they just seem way more dangerous to patient's safety than a retail tech. If they intentionally/deliberately screw up, it just seems like it is much harder to catch their errors in a hospital setting than retail. Plus I don't think you can write them up and send them home the way you can at retail.

thanks. How do you deal with those bad techs? I don't know, they just seem way more dangerous to patient's safety than a retail tech. If they intentionally/deliberately screw up, it just seems like it is much harder to catch their errors in a hospital setting than retail. Plus I don't think you can write them up and send them home the way you can at retail.

Well, keep the bad techs out of the IV room. Document and complain to the pharmacy director (that's the great thing about not being in management, someone else gets to deal with the issue.) Most issues involve a technician being lazy, not actually incompetent, and lazy ones talked to by the director enough will either straighten up to keep their job or move on to lazier pastures. With truly incompetent technicians and/or ones who weren't willing to do the bare minimum, I have seen them be transferred to another department in the hospital that required unskilled/or learn-on-the job training (I assume with a pay cut), some of them accepted they were more suited for their new job and stayed there, other's worked there only long enough to get a job elsewhere.

Why does zofran need to be tubed ?? Not the point but that should be in pyxis

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

IIRC, that Pyxis (or whatever it was called there) was out and this was the fastest way to get it there.