How do I look? Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeeeeJ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just wanted to get some take on how my stats fare and my chances. I'm a New York resident, Asian, non-traditional student that graduated from a top-50 (maybe 60? lol) university. Had too much fun in college and graduated with a 2.48 GPA (3.1 and 3.4 my last two semesters). Graduated, had a couple full time jobs, but decided to pursue dentistry. I ended up working at a dental lab full time for a little over a year before going back as a post bacc student to finish my prereqs. I just finished my two years of post bacc in May, and my GPA comes out to:
Overall: 2.83
Post bacc: 3.69
BCP: 3.45
Science: 3.31

And my DAT scores from last week:
Bio: 19, GC: 22, OC: 19, QR: 18, RC: 17, PAT: 20, TS: 19, AA: 19

Extracurriculars include over 1 year of work experience as a dental lab technician (adds up to ~2700 hours), ~90 hours of general dentist shadowing (will have ~100 by the end of the month), ~235 hours of community service, and my full time jobs (bank, marketing). Pretty good LOR's from the dentist I'm shadowing (former NYU dental school professor), and two professors I was close with, including one orgo professor who asked me to do research with him in the fall, so I have that lined up also.

My list of schools so far are:
Touro
NYU
Buffalo
Meharry
Howard
Roseman
Western
New England
USC
Temple
Midwestern (both)
Boston
Arizona
Maryland
Pitt
Louisville
Minnesota
Rutgers
Marquette
Tennessee
Nevada

Suggestions on my school list (add/remove), or suggestions in general, are more than welcomed! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I just wanted to get some take on how my stats fare and my chances. I'm a New York resident, Asian, non-traditional student that graduated from a top-50 (maybe 60? lol) university. Had too much fun in college and graduated with a 2.48 GPA (3.1 and 3.4 my last two semesters). Graduated, had a couple full time jobs, but decided to pursue dentistry. I ended up working at a dental lab full time for a little over a year before going back as a post bacc student to finish my prereqs. I just finished my two years of post bacc in May, and my GPA comes out to:

Extracurriculars include over 1 year of work experience as a dental lab technician (adds up to ~2700 hours), ~90 hours of general dentist shadowing (will have ~100 by the end of the month), ~235 hours of community service, and my full time jobs (bank, marketing). Pretty good LOR's from the dentist I'm shadowing (former NYU dental school professor), and two professors I was close with, including one orgo professor who asked me to do research with him in the fall, so I have that lined up also.

Touro
NYU
Buffalo
Meharry
Howard
Roseman
Western
New England
USC
Temple
Midwestern (both)
Boston
Arizona
Maryland
Pitt
Louisville
Minnesota
Rutgers
Marquette
Tennessee
Nevada

Suggestions on my school list (add/remove), or suggestions in general, are more than welcomed! Thanks!

For the most part Asian doesn't count as URM, so I'd take off Howard and meharry since those are URM schools. Good on you for pursuing this allegedly fun career path!!

Also, for the benefit of anyone else that sees this, we have a chance me thread dedicated to this stuff!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

Touro
NYU
Buffalo
Meharry
Howard
Roseman
Western
New England
USC
Temple
Midwestern (both)
Boston
Arizona
Maryland
Pitt
Louisville
Minnesota
Rutgers
Marquette
Tennessee
Nevada

Would also take out the hbcu's...

Do you guys think my DAT score is good enough?

Do you guys think my DAT score is good enough?
I'd recommend your AA be 20 or higher. I personally got a 21 AA and had similar BCP/Science GPA (but higher overall GPA).

As a reference point, I got waitlisted for an interview at MWU Arizona....

Touro
NYU
Buffalo
Meharry
Howard
Roseman
Western
New England
USC
Temple
Midwestern (both)
Boston
Arizona
Maryland
Pitt
Louisville
Minnesota
Rutgers
Marquette
Tennessee
Nevada

Also some schools (I forget which) have a strict minimum cutoff of 3.0 GPA for undergrad, REGARDLESS of your postbac. I would be aware of that.

Lastly, if possible, I would not mention in your app that you are Asian. As other races wrongly perceive us as a "model minority" we do not need to mention our race to make our lives harder, frankly. (Let the flames begin!)