How do I need to study RC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maclover

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To. People who took the DAT recently...
Would you please give me some tips how to study RC?
I'm wondering.....
1) what kind of articles I will see in actual test
Some people say that I need to read some journals.
2) which journal should I read?
3) how should I train myself to read effectively?

Members don't see this ad.

This is the only part of the test that I feel you can't really prepare for. If you're deficient at reading, it's going to be impossible to get up to speed in a practical timeframe. If you're already a good reader, there's not much you can do to get ready. Just try a few practice passages from Kaplan to get your pace and timing straight. I set my pace to complete reading each essay within 7 minutes. That leaves you with 13 minutes to answer questions for each one. You have to read at a decent pace but not speedread, so that you can remember stuff you read and maybe where it was located. If you get tripped up by a confusing sentence, keep going. There may not even be a question about that point. Hopefully there will be one passage that you find easy and familiar (to make up some time), b/c there will probably be one that you find very hard too (and lose some time). I did not read the questions beforehand as some people suggest. Definately don't be afraid to utilize the skipping feature for questions you can't rapidly answer either. If you kind of know it but have to search, fine. If you have no clue and a cursory search turns up nothing, move on. My philosophy worked very well for me but it's best to stick with however you like to do it. That will always work best for you.
And don't practice on journal articles. They're too in depth and complicated. Get practice DAT passages from wherever you can.

i think with the way they designed the rc it is hard to just go by this sextion just by serachin for answers since they have alot of questions asking about the general theme and tone q's so better method imo is to read the whole thing first and jump to questions....