How do I proceed to retake courses for grade replacement?

Oct 21, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I went to an LAC and took 2 semesters of intro biology, 2 semesters of gen chemistry, and 1 semester of organic chemistry. I also took a semester of a biology seminar.

I then transferred to my state school for the cheaper tuition.

I ended up taking 1 more upper level science course according to aacom guidelines.

Taking aacom gpa guidelines and my courses into account, I have a 2.77 sgpa with 27 credit hours.

If I want to retake my 2 semesters of intro biology, 2 semesters of gen chemistry, and 1 semester of organic chemistry at my state school, will those grades replace my grades from my LAC essentially?

Also, what should I shoot for science gpa wise? If I am able to replace my grades and I ace the retakes, then my science gpa will shoot up to around a 3.5-3.7.

My cum gpa is only going to be about a 3.0 once I graduate, but the prereq retakes can potentially boost it to a 3.1-3.2,and then I can possibly take more upper level science courses in order to boost it to a 3.3-3.5.

Approximately how many credit hours for post bacc assuming I graduate with 124 credit hours, 3.0 cum gpa, 2.77 science gpa?

Edit: I'm a bio major who switched to comp sci after transferring. I'm 26 credit hours away from graduating. I plan on finishing off my comp sci degree before going back and fixing the science gpa.

JDMcNugent

7+ Year Member
May 5, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Your re-takes will count as long as the course title/description is similar or the same and the credit hours need to be the same or more (i.e., physics at C.C. was 4 credits but at State it is 5 credits).

Oct 21, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
What if it's the opposite? For example, the class st my LAC was 4 credit hours but the class at my state school is 3 credit hours? What do I do in this situation?

JDMcNugent

7+ Year Member
May 5, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I believe it needs to be the same or more credit hours. I was told over the phone by aacomas that it was okay to do a re-take that was 3 credit hours when the original was 4 credit hours but found out later that this is not true. The credits need to be greater than or equal to the original course.

About the Ads