How do I tell my program director that I want to leave?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cliffh65

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don’t like the current program and want to find a new one. How do I tell my program director that I want to leave? Or should I apply new programs first without telling anybody?
Anyone has such experience?
Your suggestions are highly appreciated!!!
Thanks a lot!:p

Members don't see this ad.

You just kind of have to do it. I think the worst thing to do would be to apply to another program without telling anybody. I know when I switched programs (granted I changed my specialty so I had to switch. It wasn't just a matter of not liking the program I was in, which was actually ok aside from being internal medicine, which I discovered I didn't really like at all) but anyway . . . when I switched programs my current program director told me how reassuring it was that it was obvious that I had kept my current program in the loop the entire time and that it was obvious they were fully aware of my plans. He says when people don't do that, it's a big red flag. Not to mention that I think any program is going to want to see letters of req from your current program and likely from your current PD as well. So you kind of have to tell them.

What is it you don't like about where you are?

What is it you don't like about where you are?

Thanks sunlioness.

many reasons.

The Staff Dr. are not approachable. For example, they sit in the office chatting but not seeing the patients with the residents. Whenever I have questions, they seldom (almost not) going to see the patient with me. Instead, ask me to find some upper-level resident for help.

Plus the staff doctors are not knowledgeable and not skillful.

The case number is very low. I spend a long day everyday doing nascence without learning! Just an example, we may have ~20 cases/month but ~80-100/month in the other programs. At the same times, even the cases belong to me were done by upper levels (everyone is trying to grab patients due to the low number). I work so hard but not getting what I should deserve.

Many residents here are not satisfied. Some of them say "if I didn't buy the house, I would find a new program".
......:(

Also, instead of saying I am not satisfied with this program, is it a better idea to find some excuse?

What other reasons would you give?

Are you an intern? 20 cases a month is quite a lot - that's 240 cases a year, or 1200 cases in 5 years!

I may not have done 20 cases my entire intern year...

I joke, but Blade's point is a valid one. It sounds like you're in surgery and your program is top heavy. It happens a lot of places.

Thanks sunlioness.

many reasons.

The Staff Dr. are not approachable. For example, they sit in the office chatting but not seeing the patients with the residents. Whenever I have questions, they seldom (almost not) going to see the patient with me. Instead, ask me to find some upper-level resident for help.

Plus the staff doctors are not knowledgeable and not skillful.

The case number is very low. I spend a long day everyday doing nascence without learning! Just an example, we may have ~20 cases/month but ~80-100/month in the other programs. At the same times, even the cases belong to me were done by upper levels (everyone is trying to grab patients due to the low number). I work so hard but not getting what I should deserve.

Many residents here are not satisfied. Some of them say “if I didn’t buy the house, I would find a new program”.
......:(

I have surgery interns who do maybe only a couple surgeries a week, most of the time they are busy running the post-op floor or doing other stuff, I think the seniors get to do more cases because they have sort of done the grunt work in intern year . . . you probably are learning a lot just by taking care of patients without knowing it, and you can always supplement your learning with reading, I wouldn't really expect surgeons to be excellent teachers, good at pimping though, what does an intern really do though in a case though? Most places have the senior resident be the first assist and interact with the attending surgeon while the intern still gets pimped sometimes and is second assist.

I don’t like the current program and want to find a new one. How do I tell my program director that I want to leave? Or should I apply new programs first without telling anybody?
Anyone has such experience?
Your suggestions are highly appreciated!!!
Thanks a lot!:p

1) Open hand to reveal palm
2) Rear hand back to provide tension in the arm
3) Violently swing arm forward to ensure palm/cheek contact
4) Follow through with swing
5) Smile as the satisfying "SLAP" sound emanates from the contact
6) Congratulations, you've just told your PD that you want to leave ;)

Thanks guys for all your input.
I know it is hard. Well I think I will talk to my program director next Monday and just tell him honestly what I think, Even though I didn’t start any applications yet.
Any suggestions welcome.

You could also be th e spearhead to make your program bettr, telling th PD you woudl like to work things out before leaving, but its that serious and you are not alone... if he laughs at you... then leave