vanelo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2004
ShuffleiPods4Free.com
Status
Hi:

After submitting the rank list, my program of choice for PGY-1 (which does not participate in the MAtch) accepted me. So, now I am wondering how I can withdraw from the MAtch?

Thanks

USAF MD '05

Just another dumb ER doc.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
across the pond
Status
Attending Physician
Call your Dean's office. I matched military, and I had to withdraw. I could only do it via school. Even if you don't get out in time, I'm not sure anyone can actually make you show up to where you match. Might burn a bridge or two, but that would be up to you. Good luck :luck: - let us know how it turns out.
Steve

Jeff698

EM/EMS nerd
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2000
Salado, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
No personal experience with this, but my Dean told us in a presentation the other day that some states will no allow you to get a license if you break your Match agreement. Seems pretty harsh, but I'd be carefull in any case.

Good luck!

Take care,
Jeff

Miklos

15+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Jeff698 said:
No personal experience with this, but my Dean told us in a presentation the other day that some states will no allow you to get a license if you break your Match agreement. Seems pretty harsh, but I'd be carefull in any case.

Good luck!

Take care,
Jeff
This sounds like a scare tactic.

Although the NRMP (see http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/policies/map_main.html#consequences ) states:

The final NRMP report on the confirmed material violation will be delivered to:

1) the applicant's medical school official

(2) the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates if the applicant is a student/graduate of an international medical school

(3) the NRMP institutional officials and directors of the programs included in the applicant's final rank order list in the current matching year

(4) the NRMP institutional official and the program director of the program to which the applicant switched (if known)

(5) the party who originally reported the violation

(6) the NRMP Executive Committee

(7) the American Board of Medical Specialties

(8) the applicant's residency program director if the violation occurred in a fellowship match

(9) the Federation of State Medical Boards if the applicant is to be permanently identified as a match violator or is permanently barred from future NRMP matches

(10) any parties whom the NRMP has determined are relevant to its investigation.

In addition, the applicant may be barred from subsequent NRMP matches and/or identified as a match violator to participating programs for up to three years or permanently, as determined by the NRMP. Further, any matched applicant who does not accept his/her matched position and has been denied a waiver of his/her match commitment may not accept a position with any NRMP match-participating program for a period of one year from the date of the NRMP's decision.
I have difficulty believing that a state will have cause to deny a license because of a potential contractual dispute between two private parties (e.g. the applicant and the NRMP). NB. The NRMP is NOT a governmental authority!

That, IMO, could easily be challenged in court.